Accessibility Map for European Universities
Author: Erasmus Student Network (ESN) : Contact: exchangeability.eu
Published: 2014-09-04 : (Rev. 2016-06-11)
MapAbility is an online map designed to inform students with disabilities about accessibility levels of European Higher Education Institutions.
On the 28th of August, the Erasmus Student Network (ESN) celebrated the launch of MapAbility platform, a ground-breaking online map designed to inform students with disabilities about the accessibility level of European Higher Education Institutions.
AHEAD supported ESN in delivering this project. MapAbility's primary aim is to conduct extensive research into the accessibility level of Higher Education Institutions in Europe.
With this new online map, ESN is using MapAbility data to provide students with disabilities with an exclusive guide to accessibility in European Universities.
A committed team of students from across Europe founded the project, which maps out the entire Higher Education Area.
The group - who are all the volunteers of ESN - created a questionnaire to investigate the accessibility level of Higher Education buildings and to gather information about the services HEIs can offer students with disabilities.
Preliminary MapAbility research reveals mixed results for accessibility in European HEIs: although a third of institutions have no Disability unit to welcome students with disabilities, over two thirds of HEIs have essential facilities such as elevators and accessible bathrooms.
The project also hopes to promote common understanding of the diverse range of accessibility needs in Europe.
The goal would be to increase the facilities available for students with disabilities and to improve the perception of different forms of disability in European HEIs.
MapAbility is a sub-project of ExchangeAbility, an ESN program with the wider aim of increasing the participation of students with disabilities in international mobility programs.
For further information visit exchangeability.eu
- 1 - Free Digital Accessibility Courses for People with Disabilities : Deque Systems, Inc. (2016/05/19)
- 2 - Best Disability Friendly U.S. Colleges and Universities : College Choice (2016/05/26)
- 3 - List of Best Female Colleges in the United States : College Choice (2016/05/10)
- 4 - Atlanta School for Autism - Cumberland Academy of Georgia : Cumberland Academy of Georgia (2015/01/03)
- 5 - Ensuring Academic Success for English Language Learners in Higher Education Through Use of Technology : Dr. Jessica Bogunovich (2017/02/18)
- 6 - College Psychology Classes Lack Curriculum About Disabilities : Oregon State University (2016/02/24)
- 7 - Integrating Social Media in the Humanities Online Classroom : Stacey Atiyeh (2017/02/17)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.