List of Veteran and Military Scholarships
Published: 2009-10-28 - Updated: 2017-06-03
Author: Disabled World | Contact: Disabled World
Synopsis: List of veteran and military scholarships for service members veterans students and their families in the United States.
When seeking funds for school many service members, veterans, and their families tend to overlook more than $300 million of military, and veteran, related scholarships and grants. Not applying for scholarships is like turning down free money. Get started on your search for a military, or veteran, scholarship today.
In Other News:
- Wheelchairs Users Least Accommodated Among Marginalized Groups
- The Magnificent Meyersons : Black Sand Pictures
Each branch of the United States military, the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard, is slightly different and offers its own rules regarding educational tuition.
In all of these branches, the Montgomery G.I. Bill is in effect and assists service men and women with tuition assistance. While it is not a regular scholarship, this option should be explored and taken into consideration when applying for scholarships.
The Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines, all have Reserved Officers Training Corps (ROTC) programs available. In some cases, students can get a full free ride scholarship. The programs not only differ from each branch but also from each university.
Apart from the veteran scholarships listed below you should also be sure to check out education funding programs such as:
- Military personnel may already have the experience and knowledge required to gain certification in their occupational specialty. DANTES has agreements with over 50 nationally recognized certification associations.
- The Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society's education programs help eligible Navy and Marine Corps families pursue their academic goals by providing a source of education financing.
- Air Force Crossroads provides a gateway to a variety of employment, job search and resume service sites, relocation, education, and other resources.
- DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition.
- The National Military Family Association's Joanne Holbrook Patton Military Spouse Scholarships are awarded to spouses of Uniformed Services members (active duty, National Guard and Reserve, retirees, and survivors) to obtain professional certification or to attend post secondary or graduate school.
Scholarships for Military Children
The Scholarships for Military Children Program was created in recognition of the contributions of military families to the readiness of the fighting force and to celebrate the role of the commissary in the military family community.
A minimum of one $1500 scholarship will be awarded at every commissary location where qualified applications are received. More than one scholarship per commissary may be available based on response and funding. The scholarship provides for payment of tuition, books, lab fees and other related expenses.
Only dependent unmarried children under age 23 of active duty personnel, reserve/guard and retired military members, or survivors of service members who died while on active duty or survivors of individuals who died while receiving retired pay from the military, may apply for a scholarship. Dependent children of NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), Public Health Service, other federal or military related agencies or activities, or DoD civilian employees are not eligible unless they meet the above requirement. Website: www.militaryscholar.org
Disabled War Veterans Scholarships
The AFCEA Educational Foundation is pleased to announce the newly established Disabled War Veterans Scholarships of $2,500 each. The Scholarships are made possible by generous contributions from Microsoft employees with matching funds from Microsoft Corporation.
Applications will be accepted from qualified freshmen, sophomore, junior and senior undergraduate students enrolled at the time of application either part time or full time in an eligible degree program as stated below.
Candidates must be majoring in the following or C4I-related fields of electrical, aerospace, systems or computer engineering; computer engineering technology; computer network systems; information systems security; computer information systems; information systems management; technology management; electronics engineering technology; computer science; physics; mathematics; or science or mathematics education. Majors directly related to the support of U.S. intelligence or national security enterprises with relevance to the mission of AFCEA will also be eligible.
Primary factors considered in the selection process are demonstrated academic excellence, leadership and financial need.
Application Form: https://www.afcea.org/dynform/forminp.jspfid=1369
Military Scholarship Finder
Take advantage of the free online scholarship search at Military.com's Scholarship Finder. The Scholarship Finder lists over 1,000 scholarships from a variety of sources. Many service aid organizations and associations, like the Navy Marine Corps Relief Society, offer scholarships, grants, and low interest loans to help cover education expenses.
In addition The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has made available several documents to assist with employment, job placement, scholarships and potential scams to watch out for.
List of Other Military Scholarships
- Admiral Mike Boorda Scholarship Program - Up to $2000 awarded each year to varied number of undergraduate students in Navy/Marine Corps active duty - www.nmcrs.org/
- Agron Seal Scholarship - $1000 awarded each year to 1 undergraduate student who is Active Navy SEAL, Spouse or dependent - www.nswfoundation.org
- Air Force ROTC College Scholarship - $9000 to $15000 awarded each year to 2000-4000 ROTC undergraduates - www.afrotc.com
- Air Space Education Foundation Spouse Scholarship - $1000 awarded each year to 30 undergraduate or graduate students who are spouses of active duty Air Force members - www.aef.org
- American Legacy Scholarship - $26000 awarded each year to undergraduate students who are children of active duty US military and Guard - www.legion.org
- Army ROTC Historically Black Colleges and Universities Program - $5000 to $16000 awarded each year to 180-250 ROTC freshmen and sophomore undergraduate students - www.rotc.monroe.army.mil
- Dolphin Scholarships - $3000 awarded each year to 25-30 undergraduate students who are US Navy submarine active or retired - www.dolphinscholarship.org
- Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty) Chapter 30 - $37224 awarded each year to varied number of undergraduate students who are veterans - www.gibill.va.com
- Montgomery GI Bill (Selected Reserve) - Up to $10692 awarded each year to varied number of undergraduate students who are Reservists - www.gibill.com
- Scholarships for Military Children - $1500 to 500 awarded each year to undergraduate students who are dependents of military personnel - www.militaryscholar.org
Disabled World is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, and their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Cite Page: Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Disabled World. Electronic Publication Date: 2009-10-28 - Revised: 2017-06-03. Title: List of Veteran and Military Scholarships, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/education/scholarships/military-scholarships.php>List of Veteran and Military Scholarships</a>. Retrieved 2021-07-27, from https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/education/scholarships/military-scholarships.php - Reference: DW#323-2645.