Unexpected Scholarships at Meharry Medical College 139th Convocation
- Publish Date: 2014/10/14 - (Rev. 2016/06/11)
- Author: Meharry Medical College
- Contact : www.mmc.edu
Outline: Meharry Medical College awarding 4 students with academic scholarships covering 100% of tuition costs for final year of attendance.
President and Chief Executive Officer, A. Cherrie Epps, Ph.D., along with Frank S. Royal Sr., M.D. '68, chairman of the board of trustees, will announce the award recipients at Meharry's 139th Convocation which will be held on Monday, October 13, 2014 at 10 a.m. in the Cal Turner Family Center for Student Education.
All four recipients are completely unaware of their gift and were selected based on financial need, merit and academic excellence and aggregate loan indebtedness.
The cost of a health professions' education is astronomical.
Students choose to study at Meharry because they believe in and uphold the mission of the College: serving the underserved and underrepresented through education, research and patient care.
One of the key objectives of President Epps, and her administration, is to be able to provide financial assistance to students.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER HONORARY DEGREE RECIPIENT: Dr. Andre L. Churchwell
- Professor of Medicine (Cardiology)
- Vanderbilt Heart and Vascular Institute
- Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Senior Associate Dean for Diversity Affairs
- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
HONORARY DEGREE RECIPIENT:
- Bishop Joseph W. Walker III, D.Min.
- Mount Zion Baptist Church
- International Presiding Bishop-Elect
- Full Gospel Fellowship
Monday, October 13, 2014 - 10 a.m.
The Cal Turner Family Center for Student Education, Ballroom-Second Floor, 1011 21st. Avenue North, Nashville, Tennessee, 37208
Meharry Medical College founded in 1876, is the nation's largest private, independent historically black academic health center dedicated solely to educating minority and other health professionals. True to its heritage, it is a United Methodist Church affiliated institution. The College is particularly well known for its uniquely nurturing, highly effective educational programs; emerging preeminence in health disparities research; culturally sensitive, evidence-based health services and significant contribution to the diversity of the nation's health professions workforce. Diverse Issues in Higher Education's ranking of institutions annually lists Meharry as a leading national educator of African Americans with M.D. and D.D.S. degrees and Ph.D. degrees in the biomedical sciences. Visit www.mmc.edu to learn more.
- 1 - List of Scholarships for Minority Students | Disabled World | 2019/01/31
- 2 - The Freshman Scholarship for 2019-2020 School Year | OneClass | 2019/06/14
- 3 - Lilly Diabetes Donates $92,000 in Camp Scholarships | Eli Lilly and Company | 2015/02/03
- 4 - Scholarships for Students Who Have Parent with Disability | Through the Looking Glass | 2015/02/27
- 5 - Am I Entitled to Disability Scholarships | Disabled World | 2009/11/23