Disasters Warnings and Alerts for Seniors and Disabled
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Thursday, 26th March 2020
Synopsis and Key Points:
Warnings and alerts for earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes and natural disaster advisories to assist seniors and people with disability.
A natural disaster is the effect of a natural hazard such as flood, tornado, hurricane, volcanic eruption, earthquake, or landslide etc. that affects the environment.
An Emergency is issued when an event that by itself cannot pose a threat to life or property, but may indirectly cause other events to happen that may pose a threat to life or property.
With seemingly increasing frequency of natural disasters occurring around the world today Disabled World has added an advisory section for seniors, persons with disabilities, and the mobility impaired.
For people with disabilities, barrier free, as well as, barrier-ridden environments become a great deal more hostile and difficult to deal with during and after an emergency.
People need to plan for emergency evacuation in anticipated and unanticipated situations including chemical, biological, radiological, explosion, transportation accidents, fire, floods, earthquakes, mud slides, hurricanes, tornadoes, snow storms power outages, etc.
Weather Severity Warning Levels
Overhead satellite view of a hurricane (Cyclone) approaching landfall.
- Natural Disaster
- A natural disaster is the effect of a natural hazard (e.g., flood, tornado, hurricane, volcanic eruption, earthquake, or landslide) that affects the environment, and leads to financial, environmental and/or human losses. The resulting loss depends on the capacity of the population to support or resist the disaster, and their resilience.
- A Hazardous Weather Outlook is issued daily to indicate that a hazardous weather or hydrologic event may occur in the next several days.
- An advisory is issued when a hazardous weather or hydrologic event is occurring, imminent, or likely. Advisories are for "less serious" conditions than warnings.
- An Emergency is issued when an event that by itself cannot pose a threat to life or property, but may indirectly cause other events to happen that may pose a threat to life or property.
- A watch is used when the risk of a hazardous weather or hydrologic event has increased significantly, but its occurrence, location, or timing is still uncertain.
- A warning is issued when a hazardous weather or hydrologic event is occurring, imminent, or likely. A warning means weather conditions pose a threat to life or property.
- A statement is either issued as a follow-up message to a warning, watch, or emergency, that may update, extend, or cancel the message it is following up or a notification of significant weather for which no type of advisory, watch, or warning exists.
Also See: Disaster and Emergency Planning for Seniors and Persons with Disabilities for emergency planning lists and further information.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
- 1 - ADA and COVID-19 Fraudulent Face Mask Flyers : USDOJ-Office of Public Affairs (2020/07/01)
- 2 - Coronavirus Pandemic: COVID-19 Updates and Statistics : Disabled World (2020/01/31)
- 3 - Important Safety Tips and Guidelines for Halloween : Disabled World (2019/10/23)
- 4 - Scammers Target Consumers with Fake FDA Warning Letters : U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2018/07/13)
- 5 - Interior Car Temperature Can Become Life-threatening for Children in an Hour : University of California - San Diego (2018/05/24)
- 6 - FDA, FTC Warn Companies for Selling Illegal, Unapproved Opioid Cessation Products Using Deceptive Claims : HHS (2018/01/25)
- 7 - Yemen Cholera Outbreak Is The World's Worst : World Health Organization (2017/06/24)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.