Thermal Paper Cash Register Receipts Causing High BPA Levels in Humans
Author: University of Missouri(i) : Contact: missouri.edu
Published: 2017-05-10 : (Rev. 2020-02-20)
Synopsis and Key Points:
University of Missouri research reveals BPA from thermal paper used in cash register receipts accounts for high levels of BPA in humans.
Store and fast food receipts, airline tickets, ATM receipts and other thermal papers all use massive amounts of BPA on the surface of the paper.
Hand sanitizers, creams, soaps and sunscreens on our hands drastically alter the absorption rate of the BPA found on these receipts.
- Bisphenol A (BPA)
- Bisphenol A (BPA) is an industrial chemical used primarily to make polycarbonate plastic and epoxy resins. It is a colorless solid that is soluble in organic solvents, but poorly soluble in water. It has been in commercial use since 1957 and used in countless applications such as water bottles, sports equipment, CDs, and DVDs. Epoxy resins containing BPA are used to line water pipes, as coatings on the inside of many food and beverage cans and in making thermal paper such as that used in sales receipts. In 2015, an estimated 4 million tonnes of BPA chemical were produced for manufacturing polycarbonate plastic, making it one of the highest volume of chemicals produced worldwide.
Now, research conducted at the University of Missouri is providing the first data that BPA from thermal paper used in cash register receipts accounts for high levels of BPA in humans.
Subjects studied showed a rapid increase of BPA in their blood after using a skin care product and then touching a store receipt with BPA.
"BPA first was developed by a biochemist and tested as an artificial estrogen supplement," said Frederick vom Saal, Curators Professor of Biological Sciences in the College of Arts and Science at MU.
As an endocrine disrupting chemical, BPA has been demonstrated to alter signaling mechanisms involving estrogen and other hormones.
Miniature shopping cart in front of a cash register receipt.
Massive Amounts of BPA
Store and fast food receipts, airline tickets, ATM receipts and other thermal papers all use massive amounts of BPA on the surface of the paper as a print developer.
The problem is, we as consumers have hand sanitizers, hand creams, soaps and sunscreens on our hands that drastically alter the absorption rate of the BPA found on these receipts."
In the study, researchers tested human subjects who cleaned their hands with hand sanitizer and then held thermal paper receipts.
As an added step, subjects who had handled the thermal paper then ate French fries with their hands. The result was that BPA was absorbed very rapidly, vom Saal said.
"Our research found that large amounts of BPA can be transferred to your hands and then to the food you hold and eat as well as be absorbed through your skin," vom Saal said.
BPA exhibits hormone-like properties and has been proven to cause reproductive defects in fetuses, infants, children and adults as well as cancer, metabolic and immune problems in rodents.
BPA from thermal papers will be absorbed into your blood rapidly; at those levels, many diseases such as diabetes and disorders such as obesity increase as well.
Use of BPA, or other similar chemicals that are being used to replace BPA in thermal paper, pose a threat to human health.
The study, "Holding thermal receipt paper and eating food after using hand sanitizer results in high blood bioactive and urine total levels of bisphenol A (BPA)" may be accessed here: http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0110509
(i)Source/Reference: University of Missouri. Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
- 1 - Food Labelled Gluten Free May Still Contain Gluten : The University of Western Australia (2016/10/03)
- 2 - First Candida Auris Cases Reported in United States : Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2016/11/05)
- 3 - Coronavirus Pandemic: COVID-19 Updates and Statistics : Disabled World (2020/01/31)
- 4 - Yellow Fever Outbreak on Brink of Going Global : Save the Children (2016/08/17)
- 5 - Thermal Paper Cash Register Receipts Causing High BPA Levels in Humans : University of Missouri (2017/05/10)
- 6 - Important Safety Tips and Guidelines for Halloween : Disabled World (2019/10/23)
- 7 - Scammers Target Consumers with Fake FDA Warning Letters : U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2018/07/13)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.