NASA to Mentor Students With Disabilities
Published: 2012-12-17 : (Rev. 2016-11-06)
Synopsis and Key Points:
NASA Office of Education agreement with District of Columbia Public Schools to foster science technology engineering and educational opportunities for high school students with disabilities.
NASA To Work With D.C. Public Schools To Mentor Students With Disabilities.
NASA's Office of Education has entered into a memorandum of agreement with District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) to help foster science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) educational opportunities among high school students with disabilities.
This collaboration is part of the broader DCPS Competitive Employment Opportunity Program, a career-focused mentoring program that connects selected high school students with disabilities to professional mentors in the greater District of Columbia community.
The program provides students with career exploration opportunities, soft skill training and career goal-setting support, and culminates with a mentor-supported, career-focused capstone project.
"NASA Education is committed to using the excitement and appeal of the agency's programs and missions to encourage students to pursue STEM studies and careers," said James Stofan , the agency's deputy associate administrator for education program integration.
"We particularly want to encourage students who are underserved or underrepresented in STEM to explore the many opportunities that pursuing this course of study can offer. This partnership will help us do just that."
The initial phase of this mentorship and collaboration will take place during the first half of next year. NASA will invite some participants to a summer internship with the agency in 2013.
For more information about NASA's education programs, visit: www.nasa.gov/education
To learn more about the DCPS Competitive Employment Opportunity program, visit: dcpsceo.com
- 1 - Career Education Research for Students with Autism and Developmental Disabilities : Education Associates, Inc. (2016/10/14)
- 2 - 2020 Canadian Employer Summer Job Funding Applications : Employment and Social Development Canada (2020/02/01)
- 3 - Workplace Adaptions for Employees with Number Blindness Caused by Dyscalculia : iansyst Ltd (2011/04/19)
- 4 - How to Get a U.S. Government Job : Disabled World (2009/02/05)
- 5 - Disability Discrimination and Employment Issues Australia : Lewis Stratton (2009/01/04)
- 6 - In Employment Situations Extra Pounds Can Equal Disability : McBrayer, McGinnis, Leslie & Kirkland, PLLC (2013/08/19)
- 7 - Magnet: Online Job Matching for Canadians with Disability : Ryerson University (2016/03/11)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.