Disability Employment Resources
Author: Disabled World
Published: 2009-01-04 : (Rev. 2010-06-25)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Resources that will be of assistance to people with disabilities looking for employment.
Main DigestDisabled World has listed a number of online resources that will be of assistance to people with disabilities looking for employment and employers seeking information on hiring a disabled person.
Online resources that will be of assistance to people with disabilities looking for employment and employers seeking information on hiring a disabled person.
UK Disability Employment:
Remploy (www.remploy.co.uk) is the market leading expert in the provision of specialist employment services for disabled people in the UK. Last year they helped over 5,000 disabled UK residents to obtain sustainable employment with mainstream employers.
CIPD Disability and Employment - The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA) is the main piece of legislation which makes it unlawful to discriminate against a disabled person in their terms of employment, promotion opportunities, by dismissing them or by subjecting them to any other detriment. This fact sheet outlines the legal background and highlights key factors in terms of employment and gives an action plan for employers and the CIPD viewpoint.
Jobcentre Plus - Help for Disabled People - Disability Employment Advisers (also called DEAs) provide specialist support to people who are recently disabled, or those whose disability or health condition has deteriorated and who need employment advice. They provide support to disabled people who are having difficulty in getting a job because of their disability, and also to employed people who are concerned about losing their job because of a disability.
US Disability Employment:
Currently, over 209,284 people with disabilities, seven percent of the total federal civilian workforce, work for the federal government. Opportunities exist at all levels of government and in hundreds of occupations. Learn about the various special emphasis entry level opportunities that are available. The website explains the various options for employment and jobs for Americans with disabilities.
recruitABILITY (www.disabledperson.com) is an organization whose primary focus is disability employment and is free to both individuals and corporations. You can now do resume posting, job posting and resume searches.
US Federal Employment of People with Disabilities (www.opm.gov/disability/index.asp) contains a variety of resources related to the employment of people with disabilities, which includes: links to organizations and publications websites; links to Federal agencies with responsibility for programs for the disabled; questions and answers for applicants and employees; and tips for working with people with disabilities.
Disability.gov is the federal government's one-stop Web site for people with disabilities, their families, employers, veterans and service members, workforce professionals and many others. A collaborative effort among twenty-two federal agencies, DisabilityInfo.gov connects people with disabilities to the information and resources they need to actively participate in the workforce and in their communities.
Disability Employment 101 (www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/osers/products/employmentguide/index.html) This guide is a comprehensive analysis of hiring employees with disabilities that includes information about how to find qualified workers with disabilities, how to put disability and employment research into practice and how to model what other businesses have done to successfully integrate individuals with disabilities into the workforce.
Australian Disability Employment:
Interwork Ltd (www.interwork.com.au) - Specializes in providing opportunities for people with a disability, or who experience disadvantages in accessing the open employment market. Our VISION is to provide full access to life and work opportunities for those who are disadvantaged through disability, long-term injury and other life circumstances. Interwork Ltd has 15 offices over South Australia.
Centrelink Disability Employment Services provide specialized employment help for people with a disability, injury or illness in Australia. A person does not have to be receiving, or be eligible to receive, a payment from Centrelink to use Disability Employment Services. However in most cases a person must be assessed by a Job Capacity Assessment Provider.
- 1: Employee Disability, Absenteeism and Productivity Issues : Shepell-fgi (2009/06/05)
- 2: 39% of Canadian Small Businesses Hire People with Disabilities : BMO Financial Group (2014/10/11)
- 3: Want to Be a Doctor But Have a Disability? : University of Michigan (2016/02/12)
- 4: Weight-loss Surgery Employment Discrimination : Springer (2015/01/08)
- 5: Career Education Research for Students with Autism and Developmental Disabilities : Education Associates, Inc. (2016/10/14)
- 6: 2020 Canadian Employer Summer Job Funding Applications : Employment and Social Development Canada (2020/02/01)
- 7: Workplace Adaptions for Employees with Number Blindness Caused by Dyscalculia : iansyst Ltd (2011/04/19)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.