Shaw Trust Helping the Disabled Find Work in the UK
Author: Disabled World
Published: 2009-01-01 : (Rev. 2010-10-11)
Synopsis and Key Points:
The Shaw Trust is a charity in the UK for helping disabled and disadvantaged people into employment and independent living.
Main DigestThe Shaw Trust is a charity in the UK for helping disabled and
disadvantaged people into employment and independent living.
The Shaw Trust was formed in the village of Shaw in Wiltshire in 1981. It now employs around 1100 people, and works with around 50,000 clients a year.
Shaw Trust is the UK's largest third sector provider of employment services for disabled and disadvantaged people.
Shaw Trust is a national charity which supports disabled and disadvantaged people to prepare for work, find jobs and live more independently.
Shaw Trust helps people with disabilities move off benefits into employment and live more independent lives using government and other funded employment programs in areas such as:
Finance and benefits advice
Support to stay in work
Help to find a job
Work preparation and skills training
Shaw Trust believes that everyone has the right to work and live independent lives. As a national charity, their work is about empowering people to improve their lives and to believe in their own abilities.
Shaw Trust have also compiled statistics on disability and employment in the UK, details of legislation affecting disability and employment, and information on relevant government programs.
It is estimated that 10 million adults in the UK have a disability. Aware of this, the council recognized that it makes good business sense if all customers can access its services. Warwick District Council (WDC) has worked with Trinity Expert Systems (Trinity) to ensure its website is
fully accessible to people with various disabilities. The council's website is already rated in the top 10 shire websites in the UK, and it is committed to ensuring the website not only meets all accessibility requirements but exceeds them.
Shaw Trust has recently started utilizing remote VPN equipment, alongside Citrix MetaFrame, so that members of staff can access their work from home. By combining this with an MPLS system provided by BT, it is now possible for some staff to work from their home offices - www.shaw-trust.org.uk
- 1 - UK Paramedic Students to Benefit from Additional NHS Funding : Department of Health and Social Care (2020/01/21)
- 2 - To Improve Mental Health UK Employees Moving to Flexible Workplaces : Wildgoose (2019/07/10)
- 3 - Disability Confident: Meaning and Information : Disabled World (2014/04/04)
- 4 - Employment Law: Dismissals for Incapability : Tim Davies (2009/01/04)
- 5 - HoverCare - Accessibility Training Initiative by Hovertravel : Hovertravel (2017/09/29)
- 6 - Access to Work: Barriers to Work for Deaf and Disabled People : Ekklesia (2017/10/26)
- 7 - Brexit Impact on UK Disability Employment : The Clear Company (2016/06/26)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.