U.K. Housing Shortage for Adults with Learning Disabilities
UK local councils are struggling to meet growing demand for housing services designed to help those with learning disabilities.
Main DigestMencap highlights homes shortage for adults with learning disabilities.
An increasing number of UK adults with learning disabilities look set to remain in their parents' homes, instead of receiving support to live on their own, latest research suggests.
A report published by Mencap indicates that local councils have recently struggled to meet the growing demand for housing services which are designed to help those with learning disabilities.
In the past three years, 89% of the country's local authorities have seen a growing number of people with learning disabilities who are in need of housing support, the charity's study shows.
Freedom of Information data concerning 174 local authorities was used to compile the research, along with a range of interviews and surveys.
Further action is now required to meet housing shortfalls among those with learning disabilities, according to 94% of the councils that were included in the research.
Dan Scorer, Mencap national campaigns manager, said: "As this research shows, the proposed Government changes to housing benefit and supported housing are putting additional pressure on the ability of local authorities to find effective solutions to the housing needs of people with a learning disability, as well as leaving people uncertain about their future."
He added that the new reforms must not have a negative impact on those with learning disabilities.
Financial challenges are the biggest issues facing local authorities at present, according to all of the respondents to the Mencap study.
It is now believed that over the coming 15 years, 19,860 extra care places may be needed in England and Wales, in addition to at least 14,222 extra supported accommodation places.
These predictions are based on current trends relating to the growth of the population and accommodation.
- 1 - DOJ Files Complaint Against City of LA and CRA/LA Alleging They Fraudulently Obtained Millions in Housing Grants for Disabled : USDOJ Office of Public Affairs (SMO) (2017/08/01)
- 2 - VA Home Loan Versus CFHA Loans : Thomas C. Weiss (2013/05/01)
- 3 - Home Purchase or Rent: Pros and Cons Comparison : Thomas C. Weiss (2013/01/12)
- 4 - Guide to Home Buying for People with Disabilities : Total Mortgage Services, LLC (2012/08/15)
- 5 - HALO Loans Help Seniors and Disabled with Home Renovations : Solar and Energy Loan Fund (SELF) (2019/01/09)
- 6 - Cottage Home Communities for Disabled Adults : Engstrom Public Relations (2015/09/02)
- 7 - Luna Azul - First For-Sale U.S. Residential Community for Adults with Special Needs : Luna Azul (2018/07/27)