Dental and Doctor Insurance Policies Information
Updated/Revised Date: 2022-04-06
Author: Disabled World | Contact: Disabled World (Disabled-World.com)
Additional References: Dental and Doctor Insurance Publications
Synopsis: Information on various dental insurance policies, including individual family or group dental insurance plans designed to pay costs associated with dental care. Dental insurance is an insurance designed to pay a portion of the costs associated with dental care. From cleanings to braces, dental plans help you and your family control the costs of dental care. There is a wide range of coverage options which may include free preventive services such as teeth cleaning, routine treatments including check-ups, hygiene and x-rays, as well as planned treatments such as fillings, root canal work and crowns - also called remedial and restorative treatment.
Nowadays, it seems like there are more medical expenses than ever before that aren't covered by health care plans. If you don't have a company health plan, you could face substantial medical costs in some situations, or limit yourself to minimal health and dental care when you need it most.
Dental insurance is insurance designed to pay a portion of the costs associated with dental care. From cleanings to braces, dental plans help you and your family control the costs of dental care. There are several types of individual, family, or group dental insurance plans, grouped into three primary categories:
- Preferred Provide Network dental plans (PPO).
- Indemnity (generally called: dental insurance) that allows you to see any dentist you want who accepts this type of coverage.
- Dental Health Managed Organizations (DHMO) in which you are assigned or select an in-network dentist and in-network dental office and use the dental benefits in that network.
In general, a dental insurance plan covers a percentage of the dental charges incurred at a dental office. There is a wide range of coverage options which may include free preventive services such as teeth cleaning, routine treatments including check-ups, hygiene and x-rays, as well as planned treatments such as fillings, root canal work and crowns - also called remedial and restorative treatment.
There are several types of individual, family, or group dental insurance plans for purchase - some of which may be acquired through an employer, a local licensed insurance agent - broker, or an online website that is licensed to sell dental insurance products. Example of coverage plans include:
- Dental discount plans
- orthodontic insurance
- Family dental insurance
- Individual dental insurance
- Full coverage dental insurance
- Supplemental dental insurance
- Group dental insurance coverage
- Individual full coverage dental insurance
Dental Indemnity Insurance
Dental indemnity insurance plans gives you a free choice of any dentist you want. There may be deductibles and annual maximums with these plans, too. There is no industry standard annual maximum limitation, deductible, or co-pay. Such coverages and benefit limitations are determined by each insurance company as filed with the department of insurance.
Dental Health Maintenance Organization
A dental health maintenance organization (DHMO) is an organized system of dental health care in which a network of highly qualified dentists, who receive fixed monthly fees, provides comprehensive and affordable care for individuals or families at a low monthly premium with services at either no cost or a reduced price. Some services may require a co-payment. Features of these types of plans may include:
- Annual dollar cap
- Co-payments for office visits
- Free preventive or routine care
- May have an initial enrollment fee
- Your average monthly cost: $5 to $15
- You must select from an approved network of dentists
- Monthly premiums (some require you to prepay a year's worth)
- Companies selling these plans are regulated by state insurance departments.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
Disabled World is an independent disability community founded in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disabled World provides general information only. The materials presented are never meant to substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Financial support is derived from advertisements or referral programs, where indicated. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.
• Cite This Page (APA): Disabled World. (2022, April 6). Dental and Doctor Insurance Policies Information. Disabled World. Retrieved December 2, 2022 from www.disabled-world.com/disability/insurance/dental/
• Permalink: <a href="https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/insurance/dental/">Dental and Doctor Insurance Policies Information</a>