- Synopsis: Information on various dental insurance policies including individual family or group dental insurance plans designed to pay costs associated with dental care.
About Dental Insurance
is designed to pay a portion of the costs associated with dental care. There are several different types of individual, family, or group dental insurance plans grouped into three primary categories:
- Indemnity (generally called: dental insurance) that allows you to see any dentist you want who accepts this type of coverage;
- Preferred Provide Network dental plans (PPO);
- Dental Health Managed Organizations (DHMO) in which you are assigned or select an in-network dentist and/or in-network dental office and use the dental benefits in that network.
Nowadays, it seems like there are more medical expenses than ever before that aren't covered by health care plans. If you don't have a company health plan, you could face substantial medical costs in some situations, or limit yourself to minimal health and dental care when you need it most.
Dental insurance is insurance designed to pay a portion of the costs associated with dental care. From cleanings to braces, dental plans help you and your family control the costs of dental care.
In general, a dental insurance plan covers a percentage of the dental charges incurred at a dental office.
There are a wide range of coverage options which may include free preventive services such as teeth cleaning, routine treatments including check ups, hygiene and x-rays, as well as planned treatments such as fillings, root canal work and crowns - also called remedial and restorative treatment.
There are several different types of individual, family, or group dental insurance plans for purchase - some of which may be acquired through an employer, a local licensed insurance agent - broker, or an online web site that is licensed to sell dental insurance products.
Example of Coverage Plans Include:
- Dental discount plans
- orthodontic insurance
- Family dental insurance
- Individual dental insurance
- Full coverage dental insurance
- Supplemental dental insurance
- Individual full coverage dental insurance
- Group dental insurance coverage
Dental indemnity insurance plan
Gives you free choice of any dentist you want. There may be deductibles and annual maximums with these plans, too.
There is no industry standard annual maximum limitation, deductible, or co-pay. Such coverages and benefit limitations are determined by each insurance company as filed with the department of insurance.
Quick Facts: DHMO
A dental health maintenance organization (DHMO) is an organized system of dental health care in which a network of highly qualified dentists, who receive fixed monthly fees, provides comprehensive and affordable care for individuals or families at a low monthly premium with services at either no cost or a reduced price. Some services may require a copayment.
Features of these types of plans may include:
- Annual dollar cap
- Co-payments for office visits
- Free preventive or routine care
- May have an initial enrollment fee
- Your average monthly cost: $5 to $15
- You must select from an approved network of dentists
- Monthly premiums (some require you to prepay a year's worth)
- Companies selling these plans are regulated by state insurance departments.
Latest Dental & Doctor Insurance Publications
- Dentist with a Standard Insurance Disability Claim Gets Drilled
Dentist sues Standard Insurance Company because disability benefit was reduced each month by disability policy purchased from American Association of Endodontics.
- Partial Disability or Total Disability
This article focuses on individual disability policies as well as group employer-employee relationship and association group where members may be of the same profession.
- Disability Insurance for Graduating Resident Doctors
Educational resource provides brief outline of policy details that can help resident doctors find the best disability insurance for their unique situation.
- Malpractice Insurance Reimbursement Rider for Long-Term Disability Customers
Optional rider offers physicians and dentists long term disability reimbursement of malpractice insurance premium payments while they are out of work on long term disability.
- Individual and Family Dental Insurance Coverage - CIGNA
New dental insurance coverage features low deductibles and no waiting periods for preventive care.
Full List of Dental & Doctor Insurance Documents (6 Items)