Downs Designs Clothes for Kids With Down Syndrome Raises Over $10,000 in 24 Hrs
Published : 2014-09-05 - Updated : 2016-09-24
Author : Downs Designs - Contact: www.downsdesigns.com
Synopsis* : Downs Designs Kickstarter fundraising campaign is dedicated to providing clothes that fit and look great for children with Down syndrome.
Downs Designs' $10,000 fundraising spike from a Kickstarter campaign in a span of 24 hours has been an unprecedented and much-needed boost for the small business dedicated to providing clothes that fit and look great for children with Down syndrome.
Karen Bowersox didn't know where her initial dream would lead when she started Downs Designs over four years ago, inspired by her granddaughter Maggie, born with Down syndrome. After noticing Maggie would trip over her pants, Bowersox got to work, and Downs Designs was born in 2009.
The small business offers 20 styles of jeans that fit the unique body shape of a person with Down syndrome and feature:
- An elastic waist;
- Soft, stretchy denim;
- No button or zipper.
Maggie, the inspiration behind Downs Designs, sharing a special moment with grandma, Karen Bowersox, during a photo shoot wearing her namesake Maggie jeans.
These styles provide confidence, independence and pride in sense of style - and the journey doesn't end there.
"I can't even express it, the emotion I get from every email, from the mothers or the caregivers, of the gratitude that they've never had anything like this that fits well. They're so thankful someone is doing this. I want to do more, and it's just so cost-prohibitive. I started a Kickstarter campaign to make a variety of clothes, rather than just one pair of jeans. I want to have dress pants, shorts and khakis."
To take the Downs Designs clothing line to the next level, Bowersox and her team turned to Kickstarter in hopes that with the support of the community and their wide customer base, including a Facebook fan page of over 70,000 people in 45 countries, they can expand their line into never-before-designed styles for those with Down syndrome.
As of Sept. 3, they have raised over $20,000 in just 20 days, with $10,000 in just over 24 hours.
With just days to go, they need the support of the community to reach their goals.
Those interested in supporting the project may visit the Kickstarter page (kck.st/1vQydoa) to learn more.
The campaign will run through Sept. 14 at 7 a.m. EDT. If the goal isn't met, no money changes hands.
- Kickstarter Link: kck.st/1vQydoa
- Website: www.downsdesigns.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/downsdesigns
- Twitter: @DwnsDesigns
Related Product Investors Documents
- 1: Airline Seat Design Allows Disabled Passengers to Fly in Own Wheelchair : New prototype airline seat design by Molon Labe Seating of Denver, Colorado will allow disabled passengers to fly in their own wheelchairs.
- 2: Robo-Tar: Play Guitar with One Hand : Robo-Tar is an adapted guitar that can be played using one hand and is especially suitable for persons with disabilities.
- 3: Strategic Community Empowerment Initiative (SCEI) : Concept paper on advocacy for meaningful involvement of people living with disability and aging into disability.
- 4: Voiceitt Announce launch of Indiegogo Crowd-funding Campaign : Voiceitt are developing an app called Talkitt using innovative speech technology that will enable people with motor, speech, and language disorders to communicate using their own voice, by translating the unintelligible pronunciation into understandable speech.
- 5: Adaptive Clothing Dignity by Design Enterprise, LLC - Fashion Apparel Without Limitations : Dignity by Design seeking Investors/partnerships in manufacturing accessible, high fashion, professional apparel to disabled, elderly, blind and physically challenged.
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also follow Disabled World on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Downs Designs. Electronic Publication Date: 2014-09-05 - Revised: 2016-09-24. Title: Downs Designs Clothes for Kids With Down Syndrome Raises Over $10,000 in 24 Hrs, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/investors/downs-designs.php>Downs Designs Clothes for Kids With Down Syndrome Raises Over $10,000 in 24 Hrs</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-14, from https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/investors/downs-designs.php - Reference: DW#305-10574.