Disability Lawyers and Legal Services Information
Disabled World: Revised/Updated: 2019/02/10
Synopsis: Articles regarding legal issues relating to disabilities including disability lawyers estate planning and services for the disabled.
Do You know Your Legal Rights if You Become Or Are Disabled?
The documents listed below discuss legal issues relating to disabilities including disability lawyers, estate planning, and services for the disabled. This section deals mainly with U.S. Law(s).
Disability rights for the disabled have greatly increased over the past few years when the disability discrimination act came into force. The aim of the act when introduced was to put an end to discrimination that was being faced by people with disabilities.
Today U.S. Disability law is largely regulated by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. This Act prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in employment, housing, education, and access to public services.
Black and white photograph of a man pushing an older woman in a wheelchair.
Various States may pass disability statutes so long as they are consistent with the ADA.
Other statutes prohibiting discrimination against individuals with disabilities include the Fair Housing Act, Rehabilitation Act, Air Carrier Access Act, and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
The Rehabilitation Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in programs conducted by Federal agencies, in programs receiving Federal financial assistance, in Federal employment, and employment practices of Federal contractors. Its standards mirror those of the ADA.
This guide provides an overview of Federal civil rights laws that ensure equal opportunity for people with disabilities.
The ADA prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in employment, State and local government, public accommodations, commercial facilities, transportation, and telecommunications. It also applies to the United States Congress.
To be protected by the ADA, one must have a disability or have a relationship or association with an individual with a disability.
An individual with a disability is defined by the ADA as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment. The ADA does not specifically name all of the impairments that are covered.
To find out more about how these laws may apply to you visit the U.S. Department of Justice - A Guide to Disability Rights Laws - Disability Rights Section - https://www.ada.gov/cguide.htm
An overview for legal teams on ADA, section 508 issues affecting websites and other digital assets:
What Lawyers Need to Know: A Primer on Digital Accessibility Terms and Today's Legal Landscape
Associated Sub-Topics and Pertinent Documents
Suggested Related Articles
- 1 - Lawsuit Alleging Disability Discrimination by Owners and Developers of Apartment Complexes in 13 States - U.S. Department of Justice Office of Public Affairs - (2019/05/10).
- 2 - U.S. Justice Department Files Lawsuit Alleging Disability-Based Housing Discrimination - The U.S. Justice Department - (2019/02/21).
- 3 - Students with Reading Disorders Sue School District for Failing to Educate Them - Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF) - (2017/05/15).
- 4 - New Lawsuits Against NCAA and Riddell Seek Compensation for Student Athlete Football Players Who Suffered Concussions - cwylaw.com - (2017/01/31).
- 5 - Disability Advisor Provides Expert Responses to Questions Related to Disabilities - Disability Advisor - (2017/01/25).
- 6 - ACB Reaches Agreement with DC Taxi Companies To Enhance Accessibility of Street-Hail Service for Blind Individuals with Service Dogs - Washington Lawyers Committee - (2016/06/27).
- 7 - Blind Passenger Sues Uber for Dragging Her and Service Dog Down the Street - Washington Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs - (2016/06/03).
- 👉 For further related information see our full list of Legal and Lawyer Documents - (Currently Listing 105 Fact Sheets).
- 👉 RSS: If you use a feed reader you are welcome to freely subscribe to our latest Legal and Lawyer publications.