The Evolution of Fatherhood
Author: Abbott & Abbott, P.C.
Synopsis and Key Points:
Today more men find themselves being stay at home dads and awarded custody of their children.
Main DigestIn the aftermath of a global financial crisis, more and more men find themselves being so-called "stay-at-home dads".
Scores of layoffs - 80 percent of them affecting men - have chosen to forgo their job search and be full-time caregivers. Other men have consciously made the decision to leave the hustle and bustle of the workplace, wanting to see for themselves how it is to spend more time with their families.
The idea that mothers alone are responsible for the bulk of child rearing is changing, and the world is more accepting of fathers who choose to be more involved. The one-time stigma associated with a man staying at home to care for children has faded, if not altogether disappeared, and this is a positive step for fathers and children alike. Society is also reaping the benefits, with better-balanced children taking advantage not only of having a parent around all the time, but also from the unique perspective offered by a father - more physical play, a different take on the world and less "coddling" to foster independence.
The ever-increasing role that fathers have in their children's lives has an unexpected side effect - it is becoming more common for men to be awarded custody of their children in a divorce. Even if they do not obtain sole physical custody of the kids, judges are putting more weight on the role of a dad in a child's life when making custody and visitation arrangements. The increase in fathers' involvement with their children has resulted in the expansion of co-parenting and joint parenting plans being used as part of many divorce agreements, ensuring that the father's contributions are accounted for when deciding what are the "best interests of the child."
Since the role of a dad in a child's life is ever-evolving, if you are a father in the midst of a divorce or custody dispute, you should contact an experienced family law attorney in your area to learn more about your legal rights and options.
Article provided by Abbott & Abbott, P.C. Visit us at www.abbottandabbott.net
- 1: Disability Bias in AI Hiring Tools and Legal Protection : Juyoun Han and Patrick Lin (2020/11/25)
- 2: Can School Districts Carve Out a Placement from the IDEA's Stay-Put Provision? : David Greco : RMO LLP (2020/05/01)
- 3: U.S. Jails Hold More Mentally Ill Persons Than Hospitals : Joe D. Gonzales Law Office (2010/08/21)
- 4: Ambulance Chasing Lawsuits : Litigation, Extortion and Lawyer Complaints : Emma Johnson (2013/12/28)
- 5: Lawsuit Alleging Disability Discrimination by Owners and Developers of Apartment Complexes in 13 States : U.S. Department of Justice Office of Public Affairs (2019/05/10)
- 6: Crowdfunding Legal Expenses Such as Litigation, Court or Trial Defense : Disabled World (2015/01/13)
- 7: U.S. Justice Department Files Lawsuit Alleging Disability-Based Housing Discrimination : The U.S. Justice Department (2019/02/21)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.