Free 2013 Federal and State Tax Preparation and Filing to Eligible Taxpayers
Author: Walmart Foundation
Published: 2013-01-30 : (Rev. 2014-01-27)
Walmart Foundation partners with leading nonprofits to offer MyFreeTaxes a completely free tax filing service for eligible individuals and families nationwide.
Main DigestThe Walmart Foundation and Leading Nonprofits Launch MyFreeTaxes to Deliver Free Federal and State Tax Preparation and Filing to Eligible Taxpayers in 2013.
The following statements reference the Walmart Foundation's donation of $4.16 million to Goodwill Industries International, National Disability Institute and United Way Worldwide in support of the MyFreeTaxes Partnership, offering free federal and state tax preparation and filing services both online and in person to eligible Americans nationwide, along with Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) eligibility education. MyFreeTaxes online and in-person tax preparation and filing services have helped 4.5 million families claim nearly $6 billion in tax credits and refunds since 2009.
MyFreeTaxes launched today and is expected to help return an estimated $1.95 billion this year in total tax refunds, credits and tax preparation fee savings to qualified taxpayers.
"In this difficult economic climate, every dollar counts. Each year, millions of Americans pay hundreds of dollars to file their taxes, without knowing they may be eligible for free filing. In addition, millions of Americans may not receive their maximum tax refund because they aren't aware of the tax credits for which they may be eligible. To help ease the financial burden of the tax preparation process and make sure individuals and families receive their full tax refund, the Walmart Foundation is pleased to partner with leading nonprofits to offer MyFreeTaxes, a completely free tax-filing service."Michelle Gilliard , Senior Director, Walmart Foundation
"Providing free tax preparation and filing assistance to eligible individuals and families nationwide is a way to bring people into the tax system and educate them about their rights and options. At the same time, we're making a difference for taxpayers by helping them access vital tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Our relationship with our partners, including MyFreeTaxes, is a win for taxpayers."Peggy Bogadi , Commissioner, Wage & Investment Division, Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
MyFreeTaxes Background and Filing Details:
For eligible taxpayers earning $57,000 or less per year, the Walmart Foundation's $4.16 million grant in support of the MyFreeTaxes Partnership will:
Provide free federal and state tax preparation and filing assistance for qualified individuals;
Offer eligible consumers two main ways to file:
1 - Online at www.MyFreeTaxes.com for individuals and families with combined incomes of $57,000 or less.
2 - In person in the local community at:
- 100 United Way and 28 Goodwill led community-based Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) efforts for individuals and families with combined incomes of $50,000 or less;
- 10 National Disability Institute led American Job Center region (formerly One-Stop Career Centers) efforts across the country where on-site tax coaches will help individuals and families with incomes of $57,000 or less file for free using MyFreeTaxes.com;
Expect to assist 210,000 people with disabilities to file their taxes for free and expand knowledge of EITC and other available tax credits by continuing to build the capacity of the MyFreeTaxes network to expand outreach to taxpayers with disabilities;
Deliver phone and online assistance for taxpayers using MyFreeTaxes. Taxpayers can:
- Visit MyFreeTaxes.com to locate a free tax site near them or call 2-1-1 to schedule an appointment;
- Call 1-855-My-Tx-Help for questions about MyFreeTaxes.com;
- Contact their local tax filing site or call 2-1-1 if they need an ADA accommodation to file their taxes in person;
- Use online chat available through MyFreeTaxes.com. Click on "contact us."
MyFreeTaxes national and local partners offer free federal and state tax preparation and filing assistance online with tax filing software provided by H&R Block and in person at sites in local communities. MyFreeTaxes partners also provide taxpayers with eligibility information about the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and other tax credits to help them keep more of what they earn.
Key Data Points:
Since 2009, MyFreeTaxes has helped more than 4.5 million families file free federal and state tax returns, resulting in nearly $6 billion in federal income tax refunds, nearly $1.5 billion in Earned Income Tax Credits and more than $913 million in tax preparer fee savings. MyFreeTaxes has also helped more than 610,000 taxpayers with disabilities file their returns.
Of the 139 million U.S. taxpayers filing in 2011, 91 million reported adjusted gross incomes of $50,000 or less. Many of those taxpayers were eligible for a number of tax credits that often go unclaimed. In fact, 1 in 5 Americans is unaware they qualify for EITC. MyFreeTaxes is expected to help return more than $1.95 billion in total tax refunds, credits and tax preparation fee savings to eligible individuals and families nationwide.
- 1 - U.S. Social Security Benefit Taxation Thresholds Have Never Been Adjusted : The Senior Citizens League (2019/12/03)
- 2 - Tax Breaks for People with Disabilities : Allsup (2011/02/18)
- 3 - Social Security Benefits Still Taxable Despite Tax Overhaul : The Senior Citizens League (2019/02/20)
- 4 - Expiring Tax Cut Affects People With Highest Healthcare Costs : The Senior Citizens League (2018/11/27)
- 5 - Social Security Disability Benefits and Injured Colorado Workers Taxability : Eley Law Firm (2011/06/06)
- 6 - Changing U.S. Tax Codes Impact Assistance Dog Services for People with Disabilities : Canine Companions for Independence (2017/12/29)
- 7 - Businesses Still Need to Make ACA Filings on Time : First Capitol Consulting (2017/02/19)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.