Adult Learning Disabilities and ADHD by Robert L. Mapou
Author: Robert L. Mapou
Synopsis and Key Points:
Adult Learning Disabilities and ADHD reference book comprehensive in coverage of issues related to diagnosis and treatment of learning and attention disorders in adults.
Main DigestAdult Learning Disabilities and ADHD reference book comprehensive in coverage of issues related to diagnosis and treatment of learning and attention disorders in adults.
Adult Learning Disabilities and ADHD is a clinically rich reference book that is comprehensive in its coverage of issues related to the diagnosis and treatment of learning and attention disorders in adults.
A particular strength is the extensive and practical discussion of assessment methods for adults and their illustration in case examples. Dr. Mapou also reviews the scant evidence based on adults with these disorders and links this research to the richer evidence-base on children. The material on accommodations for adults is a must-read for practicing clinicians faced with the common problem of evaluating adults requesting accommodations, with extensive guidance on how to conduct evaluations that will meet guidelines from different agencies and determining accommodations that are potentially implementable in a variety of settings." - Jack M. Fletcher, PhD, ABPP, Distinguished University Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Houston
"Thorough, honest and engaging, Adult Learning Disabilities and ADHD gives keen insight into the complexity of comprehensive neuropsychological assessment of adults with LD and ADHD; it is both respectful of research while acknowledging just how much we still don't know about the way these disorders manifest in people's lives. Reconciling clinical practice with the rigidity of current legal interpretations can be challenging - Mapou presents a holistic approach to resolving the seeming contradictions." - Jo Anne Simon, JD, Adjunct Associate Professor, Fordham University School of Law
"Dr. Robert Mapou provides readers with an up-to-date view of the complexities of LD/ADHD adult assessment in a clear and concise manner. His years of diagnostic experience are bolstered by relevant research findings that are woven throughout the text. Each chapter includes helpful summary points that underscore the key points discussed in the book and are further illustrated by a variety in-depth case studies written by the author. Mapou is able to speak directly to evaluators who write diagnostic reports as well as to the consumers who are seeking answers regarding their disability. He is an artisan who knows how to build reports that are diagnostically sound, relevant and practical."-- Loring C. Brinckerhoff, PhD, Higher Education and Disability Consultant
"...impressive...Dr. Mapou proposes a provocative new definition of learning disability for adults and shows how empirical research findings drive assessment of learning disabilities and ADHD in adulthood. A clear distinction is drawn between the neuropsychological view of learning disabilities and ADHD as disorders and the legal view of them as disabilities. Dr. Mapou's substantial knowledge and experience also inform the unique and valuable discussions of documentation; accommodations; assistive technology; and interventions."-- Mariellen Fischer, PhD, ABPP/CN, Co-author, ADHD in Adults: What the Science Says
"This extremely accessible book not only provides a cogent review of the literature, but also delves into the practical aspects of assessing adult ADHD and learning disabilities. For students and experienced clinicians alike, this book offers a valuable learning experience."-- Doody's, a 5-star review!
Paperback: 312 pages
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA; 1 edition (December 3, 2008)
- 1 - Creation, Evolution, and the Handicapped: Crushing the Death Image : Pastor Richard Luther Corwin (2016/06/23)
- 2 - Missing Frames: Memoir of a Woman Living with Hidden Disabilities : Scooter (2016/07/01)
- 3 - Writings On the Wall: Disability Advocate's Uplifting Book of Poetry : Robert M. Hensel (2016/08/14)
- 4 - Wheelchair Exercising Book: Zero Assistance Resistance Training by Dan Highcock : Dan Highcock (2016/10/03)
- 5 - Single Handed : A Book by Hanoch Budin : Hanoch Budin (2016/10/27)
- 6 - Spinning in Circles and Learning From Myself by Tsara Shelton : Tsara Shelton (2018/05/16)
- 7 - Book : Walk in My Shoes : DeafBlind Writers Tell All : Ramona Rice (2017/01/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.