Star Sea Turtle with Disability Gets New Children's Book
Author: Louise Canuto
Synopsis and Key Points:
Bubble Butt The Challenged Sea Turtle of the Mystic Aquarium by Kiki Latimer.
Main DigestEduca Vision Inc., a Florida-based publisher of multicultural educational materials, launched the children's book Bubble Butt! The Challenged Sea Turtle of the Mystic Aquarium, by Kiki Latimer, the author of The Water-Fire Duck is at it again.
This time, Latimer tells the story of Charlotte, a sea turtle who came to Mystic Aquarium, Connecticut, in 2008 from the Georgia Sea Turtle Center on Jekyll Island after she had been found stranded nearby. A boat had struck her, causing partial paralysis of her lower digestive tract. As a result, air accumulates in her hindquarters, forcing her to float with her rear end up, a condition popularly known as "bubble butt".
"A year ago my grandchildren and I met Charlotte the Challenged Sea Turtle of Mystic Aquarium and we were delighted and amazed by her! From this beautiful creature of the sea we learned a story of adventure, danger, courage, and compassion. Bubble Butt! shows both children and adults the importance of perseverance and humor through the rough times in life. After a boat bumps and wounds Charlotte, you will laugh and cry with her as she comes to terms with her new life. In the end she just might make you wish you were a turtle or fish, with bubbles in your own derriere!," says Latimer.
Though Charlotte is unable to survive in the wild now, there is a chance that, with long-term rehabilitation, she could recover and possibly be released back into the ocean in future years. Until then, Charlotte is a star at the Mystic Aquarium's main exhibit floor. Charlotte is the first sea turtle the Georgia Sea Turtle Center has placed in an aquarium and is serving as an ambassador for her species, charming and inspiring more than 725,000 guests at Mystic Aquarium each year.
"The kids were all giggly over "Bubble Butt!," says Fequiere Vilsaint, who presented the book to third-grade students of Orchard View Elementary in Delray Beach, Florida.
Full color illustrations by Bunny Griffeth. 42pp, Hardcover with Jacket, 10"x11"
ISBN: 978-1-58432-637-3, Catalog number: B620, $19.00
- 1 - Creation, Evolution, and the Handicapped: Crushing the Death Image : Pastor Richard Luther Corwin (2016/06/23)
- 2 - Missing Frames: Memoir of a Woman Living with Hidden Disabilities : Scooter (2016/07/01)
- 3 - Writings On the Wall: Disability Advocate's Uplifting Book of Poetry : Robert M. Hensel (2016/08/14)
- 4 - Wheelchair Exercising Book: Zero Assistance Resistance Training by Dan Highcock : Dan Highcock (2016/10/03)
- 5 - Single Handed : A Book by Hanoch Budin : Hanoch Budin (2016/10/27)
- 6 - Spinning in Circles and Learning From Myself by Tsara Shelton : Tsara Shelton (2018/05/16)
- 7 - Book : Walk in My Shoes : DeafBlind Writers Tell All : Ramona Rice (2017/01/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.