I'm Disabled - Now What? - Allan Checkoway
Author: Allan Checkoway : Contact: www.disabilityandseniorresources.com
Published: 2015-08-01 : (Rev. 2016-04-05)
Publication created for seniors and individuals whose lives have been impacted by changes in their overall health.
"Our Lifestyle Changes publication is intended to help Seniors & those with Disabilities or Special Needs to lead more independent lives by enhancing individual capabilities with up to date resources to help you adapt to your changing lifestyle." Allan Checkoway
Our new publication was created for seniors and individuals whose lives have been impacted by changes in their overall health. Disabilities can, and do, happen quickly. One moment we're healthy and carefree. In the next moment our lives have been changed irreversibly, facing physical challenges never before experienced. The transition from full good health to having a disability has been described as being like "walking into a wall" - except much worse.
After recovering from the initial disorientation, immediate access to reliable, current, comprehensive lifestyle change information will be needed.
- Purchasing a wheelchair for the first time, should it be manual or powered?
- A person who uses a wheelchair necessitates detailed, reliable information on Ramps and Accessible Thresholds.
- You may also need to consider the purchase of a stair lift if your home has more than one floor.
Modifying your home of many years will be another new challenge so suggestions on Home Modifications will be value-added. Accessible Housing for Families with Disabilities provides suggestions on adapting the home to accommodate your specific disability.
Studies show that people who become partially (and not totally) disabled basically stop traveling. Vacations to foreign lands quickly become a memory. Accessible Travel for Seniors & Travelers with Special Needs gives our readers an accessible roadmap to follow.
We've carefully researched the endless list of adjustments to lifestyle options when disabled and included them here, all in one place.
Allan Checkoway, RHU is the Principal of Disability Services Group, a full service employee benefits firm. Disability Services Group offers a complete portfolio of Life, Short & Long Term Disability, Medical, Dental and Long Term Care Insurance coverage's.
Allan's career includes thirty five years of healthcare insurance experience. He served as President of the Disability Insurance Training Council and Regional Vice President of the National Association of Health Underwriters. He has been a frequent speaker at the Million Dollar Round Table, Life and Health Underwriter, Financial Planning and other professional association meetings. Allan has also been a featured speaker at LIMRA (Life Insurance Marketing Research Association), Certified Financial Planners and HIAA (Health Insurance Association of America) educational conferences.
Allan most recently wrote for disability.gov the U.S. federal government's website https://usodep.blogs.govdelivery.com ('Accessible Housing for Everyone'), Endless Capabilities, the new blog from NCHPAD (National Center on Health, Physical Activity, and Disability) a site where visitors can talk openly about all things relating to disability, health, physical activity, and more blog.ncpad.org ('Exercise . . . no thank you') and MobileWOMEN.org ('Working When Disabled').
He authored 'Disability Income, A How To Guide', published by R & R Newkirk; and 'Disability Income Insurance', a text published by Kaplan Publishing. His articles have been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Legal Economics, Lawyers Weekly, Journal of Financial Planning, Health Insurance Underwriter, Life Association News, Advisor Today and other professional trade journals. Allan has received the National Association of Health Underwriters Norma Medill Award for journalism. With over three decades in the Employee Benefit business, specializing in long term disability and long term care coverage's gave us a unique perspective on the process of becoming disabled. Helping corporations purchase the most beneficial disability programs for their employees resulted in our creating a Disability Counseling Service to help disabled employees file long term disability claims.
- 1 - Creation, Evolution, and the Handicapped: Crushing the Death Image : Pastor Richard Luther Corwin (2016/06/23)
- 2 - Missing Frames: Memoir of a Woman Living with Hidden Disabilities : Scooter (2016/07/01)
- 3 - Writings On the Wall: Disability Advocate's Uplifting Book of Poetry : Robert M. Hensel (2016/08/14)
- 4 - Wheelchair Exercising Book: Zero Assistance Resistance Training by Dan Highcock : Dan Highcock (2016/10/03)
- 5 - Single Handed : A Book by Hanoch Budin : Hanoch Budin (2016/10/27)
- 6 - Spinning in Circles and Learning From Myself by Tsara Shelton : Tsara Shelton (2018/05/16)
- 7 - Book : Walk in My Shoes : DeafBlind Writers Tell All : Ramona Rice (2017/01/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.