Single Handed : A Book by Hanoch Budin
Author: Hanoch Budin
Published: 2016-10-27 : (Rev. 2020-04-23)
Single Handed by Hanoch Budin shares his experiences from injury and rehabilitation, to an athlete with eight Olympic medals, and participation in TV show Survivors.
- The book is perfectly written and it gives the reader an insight of a man who decided that disability is not an issue when one decides to fight for his second chance in life.
- My story is about falling into a pit; which could have been impossible to escape and then creating a positive reality, one of strength and significance despite the circumstances.
Hanoch Budin's book Single Handed was born out from his numerous appearances as a motivational speaker around the world.
It is more than strange to be born again at twenty.
Within a second my life changed completely.
Words like power, strength, completeness, security, beauty and success were replaced with: injury, pain, handicapped, rehabilitation and prosthetics.
Front cover of the book Single Handed written by Hanoch Budin
On June 24th, 1982, another day in the Lebanon War turned into a special day for me. The explosion that took my hand also took my life plans.
I was a young soldier in the IDF's Golani unit, headed for officer training; strong, attractive, full of self confidence - and I found myself on the broiling ground laying in my own blood, without my right hand, and my face on fire. My screams cut the air and I knew I would no longer be who I was before.
That same day, laying in a hospital bed, I didn't know how to decipher my father's look; if it was one of sorrow, or of relief, that he hadn't lost me - or one that said "I accept our family's fate - that of loss and mourning." The strength he held in his broad shoulders and large hands, I have never seen in anyone else to this day. This same man was also blessed with endless warmth and emotion.
It is not easy to accept those who are different.
I don't mind drawing attention - I just want my personality to be more significant than how I look. At the beginning, I would hope that people didn't note my handicap. I would attempt to divert their attention towards the attributes of my personality - making efforts that wouldn't be needed if I had my right hand.
My story is about falling into a pit; which could have been impossible to escape and then creating a positive reality, one of strength and significance despite the circumstances - one that was potentially better than what it was before the injury.
"I have known Hanoch for many years and didn't have to read this book to know, understand and admire his struggle. But, the book is perfectly written and it gives the reader an insight of a man who decided that disability is not an issue when one decides to fight for his second chance in life. Worthwhile reading!" - Gadiel Blusztein.
Single Handed is Available on Amazon in Kindle and Paperback format
- 1 - Creation, Evolution, and the Handicapped: Crushing the Death Image : Pastor Richard Luther Corwin (2016/06/23)
- 2 - Missing Frames: Memoir of a Woman Living with Hidden Disabilities : Scooter (2016/07/01)
- 3 - Writings On the Wall: Disability Advocate's Uplifting Book of Poetry : Robert M. Hensel (2016/08/14)
- 4 - Wheelchair Exercising Book: Zero Assistance Resistance Training by Dan Highcock : Dan Highcock (2016/10/03)
- 5 - Single Handed : A Book by Hanoch Budin : Hanoch Budin (2016/10/27)
- 6 - Spinning in Circles and Learning From Myself by Tsara Shelton : Tsara Shelton (2018/05/16)
- 7 - Book : Walk in My Shoes : DeafBlind Writers Tell All : Ramona Rice (2017/01/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.