Guide Dogs for the Blind - Service Animals - Guide Dogs
- Publish Date: 2009/02/03 - (Rev. 2010/07/11)
- Author: Disabled World
Outline: Guide Dogs for the Blind is recognized worldwide as a model for innovative training and unprecedented support of Guide Dog partnerships.
Main DigestRoughly 10,000 people use guide dogs in the US and Canada.
Guide Dogs for the Blind provides enhanced mobility to qualified individuals through partnership with dogs whose unique skills are developed and nurtured by dedicated volunteers and a professional staff.
Guide Dogs for the Blind is recognized worldwide as a model for innovative training, unprecedented support of Guide Dog partnerships after graduation, and the success rate of our Guide Dog partnerships. There is no other guide dog school in the country that offers the level of training, and the degree of hands-on support for the partnership after graduation.
Guide Dogs for the Blind serves the blind and visually impaired. We help create powerful partnerships for those people interested in the Guide Dog lifestyle. We train qualified individuals from throughout the United States and Canada who are committed to making a partnership with a Guide Dog work.
Established in 1942, Guide Dogs for the Blind continues its dedication to quality student training services and extensive follow-up support for graduates. Our programs are made possible through the teamwork of staff, volunteers and generous donors. Services are provided to students from the United States and Canada at no cost to them.
Our school has two campuses, one in San Rafael, California, and one just outside of Portland, Oregon
What does it cost to get a guide dog
While a blind person certainly invests a great deal of time and effort into a partnership with a guide dog, they are not asked to make financial payments of any kind for our services.
All of our funding is from private sources donations from individuals and corporations, or from bequests, matching gifts, etc. We receive no government funding.
Reference: Visit www.guidedogs.com/site/PageServer
- 1 - National Federation of the Blind Statement on Delta's New Service Animal Policy | National Federation of the Blind | 2018/01/26
- 2 - Research Shows Therapy Dogs Not Stressed When Visiting Pediatric Cancer Patients | Jamie Baxter | 2018/01/02
- 3 - Guide Dogs Left Barking at the Door | Dan Williams | 2019/03/04
- 4 - Owning a Rescue Cat Saved My Life | David Wade | 2009/04/02
- 5 - Declawing Linked to Aggression and Other Abnormal Behaviors in Cats | SAGE | 2017/05/23
- 6 - What is a Therapy Dog | Thomas C. Weiss | 2011/04/18
- 7 - A Vest for Frijole - A Hearing Assistance Dog | Wendy Taormina-Weiss | 2012/03/29
- 8 - Home Toxins That Can Poison Pets | Pet Poison Helpline | 2009/10/26
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media