Skip to main content
Accessibility  |  About  |  Contact  |  Privacy  |  Terms

Pet Poison Helpline Offers Halloween Safety Tips for Pets

  • Published: 2009-10-22 (Revised/Updated 2016-10-25) : Pet Poison Helpline (petpoisonhelpline.com).
  • Synopsis: The following tips showcase what pet owners should watch out for around Halloween.

Main Document

Quote: "The best thing any pet owner can do is to be educated about the common foods and items that are potentially toxic to pets."

Holidays can bring unique foods and materials into the house that pose special threats to animals. Halloween, with its costumes and candy, can be a dangerous and stressful time for a pet.

The following tips showcase what pet owners should watch out for around Halloween.

Tricks, not treats! Some human treats can be deadly for pets

Chocolate:

Make sure your kids know to hide their Halloween stash from food-seeking dogs. Ninety-five percent of Pet Poison Helpline's chocolate calls involve dogs getting into chocolate candy. Keep in mind, the less sweet and the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is to your pet. Baker's chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problem.

Other Candy:

Remember when you felt ill after gorging on too much candy? The same thing can happen to pets. Large ingestions of high-fat, high-sugar foods may lead to a condition called pancreatitis "a painful and potentially fatal inflammation of the pancreas. Signs of pancreatitis typically show up two to four days after ingesting a large high-fat meal. Monitor your pet for a decreased appetite, vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea and other odd behavior.

Raisins and Grapes:

While small boxes of raisins are popular and healthy treats for people, keep them away from dogs. Even small numbers of raisins or grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs (and possibly cats). Never offer grapes or raisins as snacks for your pets. Choose carrots, peas, green beans or apples instead.

Candy wrappers:

Not only is candy toxic to pets, but so are the wrappers. Few animals will bother to unwrap Halloween treats before eating them. Ingestion of foil and cellophane wrappers may cause a bowel obstruction when ingested in large quantities.

Halloween Hazards

Glow Sticks and Jewelry:

Pets, especially cats, love to chew on these colorful toys. Though not highly poisonous, the glowing contents can cause pain and irritation in the mouth as well as profuse drooling, nausea and vomiting.

Costumes:

While dressing up our pets can be entertaining, keep in mind that your pet may not enjoy it. Make sure the costume does not impair their vision or movement. Also, beware of costumes containing metallic beads, snaps or other small pieces. If ingested, some metals (especially zinc and lead) can result in serious poisoning. Never dye or apply coloring to your pets' fur. Even if the dye is labeled non-toxic, many are not meant to be ingested and can potentially cause harm.

Additionally, pets may be afraid of people dressed in costumes and may not even recognize those they typically know. Fear can cause animals to act aggressively or in an unpredictable manner. If your pet seems nervous or afraid, make sure to have a safe area for them to hide or take a "time out."

Candles:

Wagging tails and curious noses do not mix with candles. Keep candles well out of reach of four-legged friends and, when possible, use safe, electric lights in jack-o-lanterns.

The best thing any pet owner can do is to be educated about the common foods and items that are potentially toxic to pets. Make sure to avoid accidentally feeding your pets human foods that may be dangerous for them and keep poisonous products out of your pet's reach. When in doubt or if you think your pet has been poisoned, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately at 1-800-213-6680 with any questions or concerns.

Pet Poison Helpline

Pet Poison Helpline is a service available 24-hours a day, seven days a week for pet owners, veterinarians and vet techs that require assistance treating a potentially poisoned pet. Staff can provide treatment advice for poisoning cases of all species, including dogs, cats, birds, small mammals, large animals and exotic species. As the most cost-effective option for animal poison control care, Pet Poison Helpline's fee of $35 per incident includes follow-up consultation for the duration of the poison case. Pet Poison Helpline is available in North America by calling 800-213-6680. Additional information can be found online at www.petpoisonhelpline.com

Also see: List of seasonal hazards and toxins that can harm your pet

Similar Topics

1 : Service Dogs Associated with Lower PTSD Symptoms Among War Veterans : Megan Huckaby.
2 : National Federation of the Blind Statement on Delta's New Service Animal Policy : National Federation of the Blind.
3 : Delta Introduces Enhanced Requirements for Customers Traveling with Service or Support Animals : Delta Air Lines.
4 : Exploring Seniors Health Benefits of Cat Fostering : Jamie Baxter.
5 : Research Shows Therapy Dogs Not Stressed When Visiting Pediatric Cancer Patients : Jamie Baxter.
From our Service Animals section - Full List (64 Items)

Submit disability news, coming events, as well as assistive technology product news and reviews.


Loan Information for low income singles, families, seniors and disabled. Includes home, vehicle and personal loans.


Famous People with Disabilities - Well known people with disabilities and conditions who contributed to society.


List of awareness ribbon colors and their meaning. Also see our calendar of awareness dates.


Blood Pressure Chart - What should your blood pressure be, and information on blood group types/compatibility.





1 : Circulation Journal's Go Red for Women Issue Focuses on Female Heart Health
2 : Wearable Stretchable Electronics Aid Stroke Recovery Treatment
3 : Electrical Epidural Stimulation Implant Reduces Invisible Symptoms of SCI
4 : How #Metoo, Awareness Months, Facebook and Social Media Help Healing Process

Citation


Disclaimer: This site does not employ and is not overseen by medical professionals. Content on Disabled World is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. See our Terms of Service for more information.

Reporting Errors: Disabled World is an independent website, your assistance in reporting outdated or inaccurate information is appreciated. If you find an error please let us know.