Southeastern Guide Dogs - Service Animals
- Publish Date: 2009/02/03 - (Rev. 2010/07/04)
- Author: Disabled World
Outline: Southeastern Guide Dogs mission is to create and nurture a partnership between a visually impaired individual and a guide dog.
Main DigestSoutheastern Guide Dogs mission is to create and nurture a partnership between a visually impaired individual and a guide dog, facilitating life's journey with mobility, independence and dignity.
Since 1982, we have provided more than 2,270 professionally and humanely trained guide dogs, at no charge, to people seeking freedom and independence.
Our school operates its own breeding colony, with more than 100 breeder dogs.
Six Breeds: Labradors, Golden Retrievers, Goldadors (Labrador/Golden Retriever mix), Smooth-Coat Collies, Australian Shepherds, Hungarian Vizslas.
Number of dogs currently deployed: more than 1,400, including more than 830 guide dogs and more than 150 Gifted Canines.
Number of puppies currently being raised by volunteers - more than 250
Number of dogs currently in training - more than 100
Southeastern Guide Dogs is funded through the generosity of caring individuals, service organizations, foundations, bequests, corporate support and fund raisers.
Our school receives no government funding. The placement of our guide dogs is provided completely free of charge to the blind or visually impaired recipients we serve.
Your contribution of money and/or time helps us offer guide dogs free of charge to blind individuals.
With the gift of a guide dog, our students are able to contribute to their communities, work on their goals, and accomplish their dreams.
- 1 - National Federation of the Blind Statement on Delta's New Service Animal Policy | National Federation of the Blind | 2018/01/26
- 2 - Research Shows Therapy Dogs Not Stressed When Visiting Pediatric Cancer Patients | Jamie Baxter | 2018/01/02
- 3 - Guide Dogs Left Barking at the Door | Dan Williams | 2019/03/04
- 4 - Owning a Rescue Cat Saved My Life | David Wade | 2009/04/02
- 5 - Declawing Linked to Aggression and Other Abnormal Behaviors in Cats | SAGE | 2017/05/23
- 6 - What is a Therapy Dog | Thomas C. Weiss | 2011/04/18
- 7 - A Vest for Frijole - A Hearing Assistance Dog | Wendy Taormina-Weiss | 2012/03/29
- 8 - Home Toxins That Can Poison Pets | Pet Poison Helpline | 2009/10/26
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media