New Conditions Added to U.S. Social Security Disability Benefits Compassionate Allowances List
- Publish Date: 2017/09/08 - (Rev. 2019/09/04)
- Author: The United States Social Security Administration(i)
- Contact : ssa.gov
Outline: Compassionate allowances list grows as U.S. Social Security expedites decisions to those with serious disabilities. The Compassionate Allowances program identifies claims where the applicant's disease or condition clearly meets Social Security's statutory standard for disability. Compassionate Allowances and Health IT programs are making a real difference by ensuring that Americans with disabilities quickly receive the benefits they need.
Nancy A. Berryhill, Acting Commissioner of Social Security, has just announced three new Compassionate Allowances conditions: CACH Vanishing White Matter Disease-Infantile and Childhood Onset Forms, Congenital Myotonic Dystrophy, and Kleefstra Syndrome.
Compassionate Allowances are a way to quickly identify serious diseases and other medical conditions that meet Social Security's standards for disability benefits.
"Social Security is committed - now and in the future - to continue to identify and fast-track diseases that are certain or near-certain to be approved for disability benefits," said Acting Commissioner Berryhill.
- The Compassionate Allowances program identifies claims where the applicant's disease or condition clearly meets Social Security's statutory standard for disability.
- Many of these claims are allowed based on medical confirmation of the diagnosis alone, for example pancreatic cancer, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and acute leukemia.
- To date, almost 500,000 people with severe disabilities have been approved through this fast-track policy-compliant disability process, which has grown to a total of 228 conditions.
- By incorporating cutting-edge technology, the agency can easily identify potential Compassionate Allowances and quickly make decisions.
For other disability cases not covered by the Compassionate Allowances program, Social Security's Health IT program brings the speed and efficiency of electronic medical records to the disability determination process.
When a person applies for disability benefits, Social Security must obtain medical records in order to make an accurate determination. It may take weeks for health care organizations to provide records for the applicant's case. With electronic records transmission, Social Security is able to quickly obtain a claimant's medical information, review it, and make a determination faster than ever before.
"The Compassionate Allowances and Health IT programs are making a real difference by ensuring that Americans with disabilities quickly receive the benefits they need," added Ms. Berryhill.
- For more information about the program, including a list of all Compassionate Allowances conditions, please visit www.socialsecurity.gov/compassionateallowances
- To learn more about Social Security's Health IT program, please visit www.socialsecurity.gov/hit
- People may apply online for disability benefits by visiting www.socialsecurity.gov
- To create a my Social Security account, please visit www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount
- 1 - U.S. Department of Social Security Open Hours | U.S. Social Security Administration (2019/12/02)
- 2 - Disability Benefits May Run Dry by 2016 | SSA Press Office (2012/04/25)
- 3 - 1.6% COLA Estimate for 2020 | The Senior Citizens League (2019/09/12)
- 4 - New Conditions Added to U.S. Social Security Disability Benefits Compassionate Allowances List | The United States Social Security Administration (2017/09/08)
- 5 - U.S. Social Security Expands Compassionate Allowance List | The United States Social Security Administration (2018/08/20)
- 6 - Compassionate Allowances Program Provides Faster SSDI Benefit Decisions | Smolich & Smolich (2014/03/13)
- 👉 For further related information see our full list of U.S. Social Security Documents - (173 Fact Sheets).
(i)Source/Reference: The United States Social Security Administration. Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.