Skip to main content

Supplemental Security Income - Federal Aid for Seniors and Disabled

  • Synopsis: Published: 2011-09-07 - To qualify for US benefits through SSI you must be over 65 blind or disabled and have limited income and resources - Shifrin Newman Smith Inc..

Main Document

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a program designed to assist the elderly, blind and disabled who have limited income and resources.

SSI benefits are meant to help provide people with food, shelter and clothing.

SSI is administered by the Social Security Administration and is available for both children and adults who meet medical and financial eligibility requirements.

SSI, like Social Security, is funded by the federal government. SSI is financed by funds from the U.S. Treasury generated by taxes. Unlike Social Security benefits, SSI is not relevant to your prior work history. However, the application for SSI is the same application used for Social Security benefits and one may qualify for both programs. In most states, those who qualify for SSI also qualify for Medicaid and food assistance.

Who is Eligible for SSI

To qualify for benefits through SSI, one must be over age 65, blind or disabled and have limited income and limited resources. They must either be a U.S. citizen, national or an alien who is residing in the country legally. They must reside in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia or the Northern Mariana Islands.

For a person to be approved for SSI benefits, they must not make more than the monthly income limit and must prove that they have limited resources available to them. One must also prove that they have applied to any and all other cash assistance programs available to them, such as Social Security or pensions.

How Much Can I Expect from SSI

Though the amount of benefits varies on an individual basis, benefits are always paid out on the first of every month. Household income reduces the amount of benefits you will receive.

The Social Security Administration estimates that an individual or child who lives on their own will receive approximately $674 a month and an individual who lives in another person's home will receive approximately $449 a month. A couple living on their own will receive approximately $1,011 a month and a couple living in another's home will receive approximately $674 a month. The amount will vary based on all household income and assets.

Article provided by Shifrin Newman Smith Inc. - Visit us at

Related Information:

  1. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Appeals Process
  2. SSDI and SSI Social Security Disability Applications
  3. SSI and SSDI Benefits for Children with Disability

Information from our U.S. Social Security: Disability Information section - (Full List).


Loan Information for low income singles, families, seniors and disabled. Includes home, vehicle and personal loans.

Famous People with Disabilities - Well known people with disabilities and conditions who contributed to society.

List of awareness ribbon colors and their meaning. Also see our calendar of awareness dates.

Blood Pressure Chart - What should your blood pressure be. Also see information on blood group types and compatibility.

  1. Majority in Favor of Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) Screening
  2. When the Spinal Cord Takes Charge of Information Related to Movement
  3. Sign Language Comparative List of Astronomical Words
  4. Israeli President Honors Special Education Teachers


Errors: Disabled World is an independent website, your assistance in reporting outdated or inaccurate information is appreciated. If you find an error please let us know.

Disclaimer: Content on Disabled World is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. See our Terms of Service for more information.