Benefits for Widows, Widowers & Other Survivors
Author: Disabled World
Synopsis and Key Points:
When a person has worked and paid Social Security taxes dies widows widowers and other survivors may be eligible for survivors benefits.
Main DigestWhen a person who has worked and paid Social Security taxes dies, certain members of the family may be eligible for survivors benefits.
If your divorced spouse dies, you can receive benefits as a widow or widower if the marriage lasted 10 years or longer and you are age 60 or older (or age 50 if you are disabled.)
If you are collecting survivors benefits, you can switch to your own retirement benefits (assuming you are eligible and your retirement rate is higher than the widow or widower's rate) as early as age 62.
Benefits paid to a surviving divorced spouse who is 60 or older (age 50 if disabled) will not affect the benefit rates for other survivors receiving benefits.
U.S. Social Security survivors benefits can be paid to:
- Dependent parents age 62 or older
- A disabled widow or widower, as early as age 50
- Children at any age who were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled.
- A widow or widower, full benefits at full retirement age, or reduced benefits as early as age 60
- A widow or widower at any age if he or she takes care of the deceased's child who is under age 16 or disabled, and receiving Social Security benefits
- Unmarried children under 18, or up to age 19 if they are attending high school full time. Under certain circumstances, benefits can be paid to stepchildren, grandchildren, or adopted children.
Further Information on Benefits for Widows, Widowers at the U.S. Social Security website - www.ssa.gov/ww&os2.htm
- 1 - No COLA Likely For 2021 Social Security Benefits Lose 30% of Buying Power Since 2000 : The Senior Citizens League (TSCL) (2020/05/12)
- 2 - Social Security Compassionate Allowance Conditions List : Disabled World (2009/02/24)
- 3 - Fibromyalgia and Social Security Disability Benefit Payments : Jeffrey A. Rabin & Assoc (2010/06/26)
- 4 - U.S. Social Security Urged to Suspend All Continuing Disability Reviews Due to COVID-19 : United States Senator Sherrod Brown (2020/03/19)
- 5 - Due to COVID-19 Social Security Offices to Provide Phone and Online Services Only : United States Social Security Administration (2020/03/16)
- 6 - Social Security National Slam the Scam Day : U.S. Social Security Administration (2020/03/05)
- 7 - Social Security Removes Inability to Communicate in English as Disability Benefit Factor : U.S. Social Security Administration (2020/02/24)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.