Greyhound Bus Services to People with Disabilities
Author: Greyhound : Contact: www.greyhound.com
Synopsis and Key Points:
Greyhound bus lines recognizes the importance of making travel easy and accessible for customers with disabilities.
In commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Greyhound participated in the celebration on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. on Saturday, July 25. Greyhound displayed a wheelchair lift-equipped coach at the event, allowing guests to tour the bus and learn more about how the company serves customers with disabilities.
Greyhound Lines, Inc., usually shortened to Greyhound, is an intercity bus common carrier serving over 3,800 destinations across the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The company's first route began in Hibbing, Minnesota in 1914, and the company adopted the name The Greyhound Corporation in 1929. By 1930 more than 100 bus lines had been consolidated into what was called the "Motor Transit Company". Recognizing that the company needed a more memorable name, the partners of the Motor Transit Company decided to rename it after the "Greyhound" marketing phrase used by earlier bus lines.
As a company that strives to meet the needs of all customers with disabilities, Greyhound has made several enhancements over the past 25 years to ensure that it was not only in compliance with ADA regulations, but also working to exceed them.
The company's program to assist customers with special needs is comprehensive.
Drivers, customer service staff and other terminal employees are available to meet the needs of customers with disabilities.
Greyhound provides assistance with boarding and de-boarding, luggage, transfers, stowage and retrieval of mobility devices, and can help a customer traveling alone or with a personal care attendant.
"Greyhound truly recognizes the importance of making travel easy and accessible for customers with disabilities," said Dave Leach, president and CEO, Greyhound Lines, Inc.
"We've always been committed to providing the best service and ensuring that customers with disabilities enjoy their entire travel experience from the time they book their trip to the time they reach their destination. We've made numerous improvements that make travel as convenient and hassle-free as possible."
Greyhound offers a safe, reliable and convenient travel option for customers. Some of the most notable strides the company has made to serve customers with disabilities have been:
- All Greyhound buses are wheelchair lift-equipped, and all drivers are trained extensively on how to operate the lifts.
- Greyhound partnered with eSSENTIAL Accessibility to provide easier access to online ticket purchasing and vital travel information for customers with physical, vision and age-related disabilities.
- The company has a dedicated team of professionals who solely assist customers with disabilities.
- All terminals have wheelchair-accessible parking spaces with ramped access to entrance doors.
- Terminal restrooms are fully accessible and include ADA-compliant stalls, all with accessible fixtures and fittings.
- Ticket counters are fitted to meet the required height for customers in wheelchairs. In some cases, there is a lowered section of the counter for convenience.
- Accommodations for customers with service animals.
For more information on Greyhound's efforts to serve the disability community, visit bit.ly/1GKmB5f
- 1 - Amtrak Everyday Rail Travel Discounts : Disabled World (2018/09/06)
- 2 - Roadside Assistance and Home Service for Wheelchair Users : Laura Slawny (2019/06/16)
- 3 - London Public Transport - A Nightmare for Wheelchair Users : Bolt Burdon Kemp (2019/04/12)
- 4 - New Wheelchair Accessible MV-1 Empire Taxi for NYC - Mobility Ventures : Mobility Ventures LLC (2016/01/11)
- 5 - Updated ADA Guidelines for Buses and Vans - Access Board : United States Access Board (2016/12/21)
- 6 - CareRides: Accessible Transportation for the Elderly by Lyft and CareLinx : CareLinx (2016/12/12)
- 7 - NY City Adds 147 New MV-1's to Access-A-Ride Fleet : Mobility Ventures (2014/12/13)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.