Greyhound Bus Services for Disabled Passengers
Synopsis: Greyhound bus lines recognizes the importance of making travel easy and accessible for customers with disabilities. We've always been committed to providing the best service and ensuring that customers with disabilities enjoy their entire travel experience from the time they book their trip to the time they reach their destination. Greyhound provides assistance with boarding and de-boarding, luggage, transfers, stowage and retrieval of mobility devices, and can help a customer traveling alone or with a personal care attendant.
In commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Greyhound participated in the celebration on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. on Saturday, July 25. Greyhound displayed a wheelchair lift-equipped coach at the event, allowing guests to tour the bus and learn more about how the company serves customers with disabilities.
Greyhound Lines, Inc., usually shortened to Greyhound, is an intercity bus common carrier serving over 3,800 destinations across the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The company's first route began in Hibbing, Minnesota in 1914, and the company adopted the name The Greyhound Corporation in 1929. By 1930 more than 100 bus lines had been consolidated into what was called the "Motor Transit Company". Recognizing that the company needed a more memorable name, the partners of the Motor Transit Company decided to rename it after the "Greyhound" marketing phrase used by earlier bus lines.
As a company that strives to meet the needs of all customers with disabilities, Greyhound has made several enhancements over the past 25 years to ensure that it was not only in compliance with ADA regulations, but also working to exceed them.
The company's program to assist customers with special needs is comprehensive:
- Drivers, customer service staff and other terminal employees are available to meet the needs of customers with disabilities.
- Greyhound provides assistance with boarding and de-boarding, luggage, transfers, stowage and retrieval of mobility devices, and can help a customer traveling alone or with a personal care attendant.
"Greyhound truly recognizes the importance of making travel easy and accessible for customers with disabilities," said Dave Leach, president and CEO, Greyhound Lines, Inc.
"We've always been committed to providing the best service and ensuring that customers with disabilities enjoy their entire travel experience from the time they book their trip to the time they reach their destination. We've made numerous improvements that make travel as convenient and hassle-free as possible."
Greyhound offers a safe, reliable and convenient travel option for customers. Some of the most notable strides the company has made to serve customers with disabilities have been:
- All Greyhound buses are wheelchair lift-equipped, and all drivers are trained extensively on how to operate the lifts.
- Greyhound partnered with eSSENTIAL Accessibility to provide easier access to online ticket purchasing and vital travel information for customers with physical, vision and age-related disabilities.
- The company has a dedicated team of professionals who solely assist customers with disabilities.
- All terminals have wheelchair-accessible parking spaces with ramped access to entrance doors.
- Terminal restrooms are fully accessible and include ADA-compliant stalls, all with accessible fixtures and fittings.
- Ticket counters are fitted to meet the required height for customers in wheelchairs. In some cases, there is a lowered section of the counter for convenience.
- Accommodations for customers with service animals.
This quality-reviewed article relating to our Public Disability Transport section was selected for publishing by the editors of Disabled World due to its likely interest to our disability community readers. Though the content may have been edited for style, clarity, or length, the article "Greyhound Bus Services for Disabled Passengers" was originally written by Greyhound, and published by Disabled-World.com on 2015-07-28 (Updated: 2021-12-02). Should you require further information or clarification, Greyhound can be contacted at greyhound.com. Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith.
Share This Information To:
𝕏.com Facebook Reddit
Discover Related Topics:
Disabled World is an independent disability community founded in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as X.com and our Facebook page.
Permalink: <a href="https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/transport/public/greyhound-buses.php">Greyhound Bus Services for Disabled Passengers</a>
Cite This Page (APA): Greyhound. (2015, July 28). Greyhound Bus Services for Disabled Passengers. Disabled World. Retrieved September 23, 2023 from www.disabled-world.com/disability/transport/public/greyhound-buses.php
Disabled World provides general information only. The materials presented are never meant to substitute for qualified professional medical care, nor should they be construed as such. Funding is derived from advertisements or referral programs. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.