The Gold and Silver awareness ribbon represents hearing impairments including Tinnitus and Meniere Disease.
Canada - May is Speech and Hearing Awareness Month.
USA - October Is National Audiology Awareness Month. AAA is dedicated to increasing public awareness of audiology and the importance of hearing protection.
UK - September is Hearing Awareness Month
Quick Facts: Hearing Loss
- Some medications may reversibly affect hearing. This includes some diuretics, aspirin and NSAIDs, and macrolide antibiotics.
- The term hearing impaired is more likely to be used by people with a less than severe hearing loss and people who have acquired deafness in adulthood rather than by those who have grown up deaf.
- There is a progressive loss of ability to hear high frequencies with increasing age known as presbycusis. For men, this can start as early as 25 and women at 30, but may even affect teenagers and children.
- Hearing loss can be inherited. Around 75-80% of all cases are inherited by recessive genes, 20 to 25% are inherited by dominant genes, 1 to 2% are inherited by X-linked patterns, and fewer than 1% are inherited by mitochondrial inheritance.
- Members of the deaf community tend to view deafness as a difference in human experience rather than a disability. A positive attitude toward being deaf is typical in deaf cultural groups. Deafness is not generally considered a condition that needs to be fixed.
- Deaf culture is recognized under article 30, paragraph 4 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which states that "Persons with disabilities shall be entitled, on an equal basis with others, to recognition and support of their specific cultural and linguistic identity, including sign languages and deaf culture."
Statistics: Hearing Impairment
Over 37 million adults and over 1 million children in the United States suffer from some degree of hearing loss.
In the U.K. around 840 babies are born with significant deafness each year. About one in 1,000 children is deaf at three years old and about 20,000 children aged up to 15 are moderately to profoundly deaf.
Latest Hearing Loss and Deafness Publications
Full List of Hearing Loss and Deafness Documents (27 Items)
for low income singles, families, seniors and disabled. Programs include grants, home ownership, vehicle modification loans, personal loans and scholarships.