First Sign Language Message from Space
Published 2010-07-24 13:47:33 - (10 years ago). Last updated 2017-12-24 11:23:08 - (2 years ago).
Outline: The number of languages used on the International Space Station has recently increased.
The number of languages used on the International Space Station has recently increased.
In addition to those spoken in the 15 countries that have had representatives aboard the space station, American Sign Language, or ASL, is now included. NASA astronaut Tracy Caldwell Dyson has sent a message in ASL from the station to the deaf community.
In the video, Caldwell Dyson answered several questions about living and working aboard the station and how she became interested in sign language.
"I am truly grateful for this opportunity on behalf of the deaf community and the multitudes of students who will benefit from seeing their language spoken in space," Caldwell Dyson said. "It is my hope that this video will help inspire our next generation of scientists and explorers."
As NASA's missions advance beyond Earth's orbit, the agency will continue its efforts to highlight its diverse workforce. NASA strives to assist the next generation of researchers to gain access to science-related fields.
Caldwell Dyson will work on several other videos targeted to users of ASL. When the videos are completed, they will be posted on the agency's website at: www.nasa.gov
To view Caldwell Dyson's message and learn more about the space station, visit: www.nasa.gov/station
To view Caldwell Dyson's bio, visit: www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/caldwell.html
- 1 - Sign Language May Offer Answer to Meaning of Music | New York University (2017-08-16 12:40:00)
- 2 - Purple Enhances P3 Deaf and Hearing Impaired Communications Application | Purple Communications (2010-01-21 17:13:00)
- 3 - British Sign Language: Facts and Information | Neil Payne/George Spence (2009-01-20 17:54:31)
- 4 - American Sign Language Facts and Information | Disabled World (2009-01-20 17:30:14)
- 5 - SRV Canada Video Relay Service for People with Hearing Disability | Canadian Administrator of VRS (CAV), Inc. (2016-09-29 08:52:01)