Inner Ear Regeneration: Hearing Loss, Tinnitus and Vertigo
Author: Dr. John Lieurance(i)
Published: 2016-09-16 : (Rev. 2020-05-02)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Advanced Rejuvenation is using cutting edge therapies to stimulate hair cell (inner ear) regeneration through stem cell treatment, laser therapy and growth factor injections.
Several doctors have been working with the application of laser therapy for regeneration of the hair cells in the inner ear.
Research at Standford has shown it possible to create hair cells from induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS) - adult cells that have been genetically reprogrammed.
Is Inner Ear Regeneration Possible?
Hair cells in the inner ear are the nerve cells that allow the perceptions of sound waves. They are essential for balance, hearing and proper brain function. Without them, humans would be deaf and disoriented. If hair cells are damaged in any way, there may be permanent hearing loss, tinnitus, vertigo or debilitating balance disorders. Advanced Rejuvenation now has treatments available that will stimulate hair cell regeneration.
Dr. John Lieurance has found that these insufficiencies are also intimately connected to brain function and these deficiencies can cause issues with proper coordination of the eyes and movement of the body. Since the autonomic nervous system is also wired through these pathways, the function of the gut, heart, liver, kidney and bladder can all suffer from issues with the hair cells. Advanced Rejuvenation's treatment options can now address the root cause of many nervous system symptoms: inner ear degeneration.
Many sufferers are left with little options; however Dr. John Lieurance and Advanced Rejuvenation have obtained new research showing possible ways to regenerate damaged hair cells. Additional research details can be found in the links at the bottom of this page.
Chart shows typical aging hearing loss
What Causes Inner Ear Degeneration?
- Loud sounds more than 90 decibels usually cause temporary damage to the hair cells. The hair cells flatten resulting in about 48 hours of hearing loss, and regain their shape afterwards. However, long-term exposure will result in permanent hearing loss.
- Loud noises are not the only danger to hair cells, ototoxic drugs (drugs which damage the hearing), Lyme disease and other bacterial infections, viral infections and trauma can all damage these sensitive little cells. It has previously been widely held that once human hair cells have died, they cannot be regenerated; this is no longer true.
Stem Cell Therapy
Research at Standford has shown it possible to create hair cells from induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS) - adult cells that have been genetically reprogrammed. This breakthrough process may represent a major opportunity to eventually treat a patient with their own cells.
They have also discovered how thyroid hormone can be involved in the wiring aspect of the hair cells. Thyroid hormone seems to regulate the formation of the junctions between nerve cells that allow them to communicate by transmitting signals.
There is a small and specific window of time when the thyroid hormones are active in the newborn baby. If researchers can track the molecular process how nerve connections are being made, they may be able to identify the genes underlying pathological processes that lead to hearing loss.
Laser therapy might hold the most promise for those suffering hearing loss, tinnitus and balance disorders.
Several doctors have been working with the application of laser therapy for regeneration of the hair cells in the inner ear. The concept is that by supplying energy in the form of photons into the inner ear the hair cells can utilize that energy to repair and regenerate themselves.
Dr. Amon Kaiser has been working with lasers for more than 20 years after his father pioneered the methods in the 70's. Dr. John Lieurance has now obtained the equipment and training to work with regenerative laser treatment for the ear. It is well known that laser therapy can have an influence on growth factors and stem cell activation.
Another aspect of this treatment is there is a high safety profile with little risk of injury and the reported results seems to show efficacy in hearing loss, tinnitus and balance due to inner ear damage.
Regeneration of hair cells in humans was once considered impossible but is now at the forefront of Advanced Rejuvenation's practice. Before now, it was thought that hearing aids and cochlear implants were the only answers. Research over the past twenty years, however, has finally paid off and is now being applied by Dr. John Lieurance and his medical team.
(i)Source/Reference: Dr. John Lieurance. Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
- 1 - Inner Ear Regeneration: Hearing Loss, Tinnitus and Vertigo : Dr. John Lieurance (2016/09/16)
- 2 - Tinnitus Noise May Be Brain Trying to Repair Itself : Georgetown University Medical Center (2011/01/12)
- 3 - Action Needed for Millions of Tinnitus Sufferers : Wiley-Blackwell (2009/11/03)
- 4 - Detecting Tinnitus Sound : Henry Ford Health System (2009/10/03)
- 5 - Learning to Live with Tinnitus : Paul (2009/01/20)
- 6 - Personal Tinnitus Experience : Paul (2009/01/20)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.