Annual Gala offers Show by Actors with Disabilities
Published : 2010-10-06
Author : Dionysus Theatre
Synopsis* : Dionysus Theatre offers inclusive theater and is the only one in Texas to put actors with disabilities and non-disabled actors under the same spotlights.
Main DigestOnly one day a year does nonprofit Dionysus Theatre reach out to supporters to help fund its mission of inclusion through Main Stage, Youth Theatre and Touring Troupe entertainment.
And for the fifth annual gala on Oct. 16, it will again pass the hat in style with a catered dining experience, lots of goodies and a sample by Dionysus Theatre actors of what they can do during the other 364 days a year.
Dionysus Theatre offers inclusive theater at its best. It is the only one in Texas to put actors with disabilities and non-disabled actors under the same spotlights, where they shine.
Along with elegant dining a in West Houston hotel, ticket purchasers also will be treated to a short production staged by Dionysus Theatre's inspired - and inspiring - troupe,
"We have so much to celebrate in Dionysus, being the only inclusive theater in Texas," said Deborah Emmy Nowinski, the theater's founder and artistic director.
Next up for Dionysus Theatre is the thriller "Wait Until Dark." Marquia Banks, a visually impaired actress, plays the role of Suzy, a blind woman terrorized by thieves in her home until she evens the playing field. The show is set to open Oct. 9 in the Joe Frank Theatre, which Dionysus Theatre rents until it finds a permanent home.
This year's gala theme - Building on a Dream - reflects the quest by Dionysus Theatre to find an independent location and highlight the theater's driving purpose, said the theater's business manager, Amy Loar.
"Dionysus Theatre educates and empowers through entertainment," Loar said. "And people who come and support us through the gala will never have so much fun - as the theater's motto says - Changing Lives, One Act at a Time."
The gala also will offer ticket-holders the of bidding at a silent and a live auction for upscale merchandise, getaway tours and luxury packages provided by Dioysus Theatre's friends at Houston-area businesses.
Harris County Judge Edward M. Emmett, director of the county's Homeland Security and Emergency Management among his leadership roles in many committees and councils, will be the evening's honored guest for his work in the wake of Hurricane Ike hitting the Gulf Coast in September 2008.
For more information, contact Dionysus Theatre, 713-728-0041, or visit www.dionysustheatre.org
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, disability sports events, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Recreation Documents
- 1: LOVE LAND Film Features Breakthrough Cast with Disabilities : LOVE LAND endorsed by the Disability Cinema Coalition is an independent film focused on the disability rights movement that challenges disability stereotypes.
- 2: Morgan's Inspiration Island Accessible Splash Park : World's first ultra-accessible Splash Park now being built at Morgan's Wonderland in San Antonio, Texas.
- 3: Deaf Comedian Tom Willard Performs at Caroline's on Broadway : Sign Language on Broadway - Deaf Rochester standup comedian performs at celebrated comedy club Carolines on Broadway.
- 4: Disabled Vets Receive Free Lifetime Access to U.S. National Parks : U.S. Senate passes S.327 Wounded Veterans Recreation Act allowing all veterans with service-connected disabilities free lifetime entry to US national parks and federal land.
- 5: Alice Sheppard and Kinetic Light Present NY Premiere of DESCENT : Alice Sheppard and Kinetic Light present New York Premiere of DESCENT, exploring the potent intersection of disability, dance, design, and technology at New York Live Arts March 22, 23, 24.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Dionysus Theatre. Electronic Publication Date: 2010-10-06. Title: Annual Gala offers Show by Actors with Disabilities, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/entertainment/actors-with-disabilities.php>Annual Gala offers Show by Actors with Disabilities</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-17, from https://www.disabled-world.com/entertainment/actors-with-disabilities.php - Reference: DW#43-5730.