CandoCo Dance Company: Disabled & Non-disabled Dancers
Published : 2009-08-17 - Updated : 2015-05-30
Author : Disabled World - Contact: Disabled World
Synopsis* : The CandoCo Dance Company is a contemporary dance company of disabled and non-disabled dancers.
The CandoCo Dance Company, founded in 1991 by Celeste Dandeker and Adam Benjamin, is a contemporary dance company of disabled and non-disabled dancers pushing boundaries to broaden perceptions of what dance truly is.
As a successful repertory company, CandoCo pushes boundaries and challenges conventions of contemporary dance resulting in work of extreme physicality and expressive emotion.
The physically-integrated dance movement is part of the disability culture movement, which recognizes and celebrates the first-person experience of disability, not as a medical-model construct but as a social phenomenon, through artistic, literary, and other creative means.
Dandeker, who had previously trained with the London Contemporary Dance Theatre suffered a fall whilst dancing on stage.
A consequent spinal injury prevented her ability to dance, until choreographer Darshan Singh Buller persuaded Dandeker to dance again, albeit from her wheelchair for the subsequently award-winning dance film "The Fall".
CandoCo is part of a larger physically-integrated dance movement, which seeks to increase opportunities for artistic expression through movement for a wide spectrum of physical attributes and disabilities, and has worked with many contemporary choreographers including Rafeal Bonachela, Fin Walker, Siobhan Davies, Javier De Frutos and Stephen Petronio, amongst many others
To truly appreciate the CandoCo Dance Company, it has been said that one should discard all conventional notions of the dancing body.
The CandoCo Dance Company (www.candoco.co.uk) is a registered charity based at Aspire National training center in Stanmore, North London.
About the Author
Disabled World (Disabled-World.Com) is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news, assistive technology reviews, and disability sporting events, as well as general information for people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. Be sure to check out our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Recreation Documents
- 1: LOVE LAND Film Features Breakthrough Cast with Disabilities : LOVE LAND endorsed by the Disability Cinema Coalition is an independent film focused on the disability rights movement that challenges disability stereotypes.
- 2: Morgan's Inspiration Island Accessible Splash Park : World's first ultra-accessible Splash Park now being built at Morgan's Wonderland in San Antonio, Texas.
- 3: Deaf Comedian Tom Willard Performs at Caroline's on Broadway : Sign Language on Broadway - Deaf Rochester standup comedian performs at celebrated comedy club Carolines on Broadway.
- 4: Disabled Vets Receive Free Lifetime Access to U.S. National Parks : U.S. Senate passes S.327 Wounded Veterans Recreation Act allowing all veterans with service-connected disabilities free lifetime entry to US national parks and federal land.
- 5: Alice Sheppard and Kinetic Light Present NY Premiere of DESCENT : Alice Sheppard and Kinetic Light present New York Premiere of DESCENT, exploring the potent intersection of disability, dance, design, and technology at New York Live Arts March 22, 23, 24.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Disabled World. Electronic Publication Date: 2009-08-17 - Revised: 2015-05-30. Title: CandoCo Dance Company: Disabled & Non-disabled Dancers, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/entertainment/candoco-dance.php>CandoCo Dance Company: Disabled & Non-disabled Dancers</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-17, from https://www.disabled-world.com/entertainment/candoco-dance.php - Reference: DW#43-2110.