CandoCo Dance Company: Disabled & Non-disabled Dancers
Author: Disabled World : Contact: Disabled World
Published: 2009-08-17 : (Rev. 2015-05-30)
The CandoCo Dance Company is a contemporary dance company of disabled and non-disabled dancers.
The CandoCo Dance Company, founded in 1991 by Celeste Dandeker and Adam Benjamin, is a contemporary dance company of disabled and non-disabled dancers pushing boundaries to broaden perceptions of what dance truly is.
As a successful repertory company, CandoCo pushes boundaries and challenges conventions of contemporary dance resulting in work of extreme physicality and expressive emotion.
The physically-integrated dance movement is part of the disability culture movement, which recognizes and celebrates the first-person experience of disability, not as a medical-model construct but as a social phenomenon, through artistic, literary, and other creative means.
Dandeker, who had previously trained with the London Contemporary Dance Theatre suffered a fall whilst dancing on stage.
A consequent spinal injury prevented her ability to dance, until choreographer Darshan Singh Buller persuaded Dandeker to dance again, albeit from her wheelchair for the subsequently award-winning dance film "The Fall".
CandoCo is part of a larger physically-integrated dance movement, which seeks to increase opportunities for artistic expression through movement for a wide spectrum of physical attributes and disabilities, and has worked with many contemporary choreographers including Rafeal Bonachela, Fin Walker, Siobhan Davies, Javier De Frutos and Stephen Petronio, amongst many others
To truly appreciate the CandoCo Dance Company, it has been said that one should discard all conventional notions of the dancing body.
The CandoCo Dance Company (www.candoco.co.uk) is a registered charity based at Aspire National training center in Stanmore, North London.
- 1 - Deaf Comedian Tom Willard Performs at Caroline's on Broadway : Tom Willard (2018/12/22)
- 2 - Alice Sheppard and Kinetic Light Present NY Premiere of DESCENT : Mariclare Hulbert, Lisa Niedermeyer, Alice Sheppard (2018/03/04)
- 3 - Black Heart Actor Shawn McClain Gives Breakthrough Performance : DAG Consulting (2011/07/20)
- 4 - Musical Putnam is an Uplifting Hit : Dionysus Theatre (2010/06/20)
- 5 - Films Involving or Featuring Disabilities : Thomas C. Weiss (2009/05/12)
- 6 - Free Things to Do On the Weekend When Bored : Disabled World (2017/10/22)
- 7 - Mayer-Johnson Products for People with Disabilities : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2011/11/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.