Inspiring Stories of People with Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis Competition
Author: Biogen Idec : Contact: biogenidec.com
Synopsis and Key Points:
Tyler Campbell inviting people impacted by relapsing multiple sclerosis to share stories for chance to win tickets to attend sporting event with him.
Tyler, who has shared his own inspirational journey living with relapsing MS, is passionate about helping others with the disease - a passion that he is advancing along with his father today through a partnership with Biogen Idec (NASDAQ: BIIB) and the launch of MS Inspiration. This new initiative is designed to encourage others living with relapsing MS to share what inspires them, and to showcase members of the community.
Most people who have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) have a type called relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS). It usually develops when you're in your 20s or 30s. In RRMS, there are clear episodes of inflammatory activity (relapses). During a relapse, there are new or worsening symptoms. Relapses are also called attacks, flare-ups, or exacerbations. Relapses are followed by remission, during which the disease does not progress. Residual symptoms may remain during remission. People with RRMS may go on to develop a progressive form of the disease. One of the hallmarks of MS is the variability of its symptoms. No two people are likely to experience the same set of symptoms in the same way. Some symptoms may come and go or appear once and not again. Which symptoms you have depends on the area of the brain or spinal cord that has been damaged.
Visitors to MSInspiration.com can learn more about the empowering stories of Tyler and others living with the disease, like professional basketball player Chris Wright. On the website, people living with relapsing MS, or their friends or loved ones, can submit a short essay about how relapsing MS has shaped and inspired them. Three winners will be provided tickets to attend a sporting event with Tyler or Chris and will have their personal story featured on the website.
"I was devastated by my diagnosis, but I soon realized that everything happens for a reason. While it may be hard to believe, relapsing MS has made my life richer and more meaningful, and has strengthened my bond with my family," said Tyler Campbell. "My father has motivated me to keep pushing forward and never quit, and I want to use my experiences to help support others living with the disease to do the same."
Individual Relapsing MS Journeys
Tyler was a rising college football player following in the footsteps of his father when he started experiencing sensations of tingling and weakness that ultimately led to his diagnosis of relapsing MS. Although this chronic and unpredictable illness sidelined his dreams of playing professional football, Tyler became empowered to dedicate his time to raise awareness of relapsing MS and to help others living with the disease.
"While relapsing MS is a lifelong disease for which there is no cure, an appropriate treatment can make a real difference in delaying the progression of physical disability," said Edward Fox, MD, PhD, Tyler's treating physician and Director of the Multiple Sclerosis Clinic of Central Texas. "That's why it's so important for people living with relapsing MS to regularly speak with their doctor about their treatment, diet, and exercise plan, and adjust it as needed over time to appropriately manage their condition."
It has been estimated that approximately 400,000 Americans are living with MS.
Of those, approximately 85 percent are initially diagnosed with relapsing MS, which is characterized by clearly defined acute attacks with full recovery or with residual deficit upon recovery. Symptoms may be mild, moderate, or severe, ranging from numbness in the limbs to paralysis or loss of vision.
Today, both Tyler and Chris are being treated with a Biogen Idec therapy. Their personal experiences, from diagnosis to the current management of their relapsing MS, can be found on MSInspiration.com.
MS Inspiration draws on personal testimonials of hope and achievement to inspire others living with relapsing MS to pursue their goals.
People living with relapsing MS, or their friends or loved ones, are encouraged to submit their story of how MS has shaped and inspired them by April 7, 2015, on MSInspiration.com for a unique opportunity to win tickets to attend a sporting event with Tyler or Chris, and to have their story featured on the website. Three winners will be announced in June 2015. Please note, it is not necessary for applicants to have taken, currently take, or intend to take in the future any medicine or product marketed by Biogen Idec (or any other manufacturers), and this will not be a consideration in the judging criteria or determination of the Winner(s).
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING.
- See complete Official Rules for how to enter and restrictions.
- The MS Inspiration Contest is open to legal residents of the 48 contiguous United States and D.C. who are at least 18 years of age at the time of entry (at least 19 in Alabama and Nebraska).
- Contest begins at 12:00:00 PM Eastern Time ("ET") on January 27, 2015, and the entry submission period ends at 11:59:59 AM ET on April 7, 2015.
- Void where otherwise prohibited.
- To enter and view complete Official Rules, visit MSInspiration.com
- Sponsored by Biogen Idec, 225 Binney Street, Cambridge MA 02142.
- For more information and additional contest details, please visit MSInspiration.com
- 1: Get Your Life Back - $50,000 Caregiving Makeover Contest : Physicians Choice Insurance Service (2011/06/14)
- 2: Innovative Design Competition Shines Spotlight on Spinal Injuries : Kim Wan (2019/10/11)
- 3: Visions For The Future of Mobility Unveiled at CES : RTPR (2019/01/09)
- 4: Knowbility OpenAIR Accessibility Internet Rally Competition : Knowbility, Inc. (2014/10/17)
- 5: Accessibility Innovation Showcase Competition - Helping Innovators Improve Lives of People with Disabilities : Ontario Centres of Excellence Inc. (2017/03/13)
- 6: Human Rights Video Contest Open to U.S. Students and Schools : American Federation of Teachers (AFT) (2017/01/30)
- 7: Maddak Inc. and Morph Wheels Most Inspirational Client Award : Maddak Inc. and Morph Wheels (2013/09/26)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.