Free and Discounted Services and Deals for Disabled
Synopsis: List of discounted and free access passes for disabled including; nature and theme parks, museums, cinemas, transportation, as well as other free services, programs, activities and products. BARD is available to users of the braille and talking book program through their local braille and talking book library. Most U.S. states have programs that provide free amplified telephones to residents with hearing impairments.
This relatively new section of Disabled World provides people with a disability, and/or special needs, a list of discounted and free access passes for disabled including; nature and theme parks, museums, cinemas, transportation, as well as other free services, programs, activities and products from private, government agencies, and non-profit organizations that provide free disabled services or discounted benefits and access.
Today, more and more companies and organisations are providing discounts and deals for disabled people and their carers and there are now a wide variety of discounted services available to people with disabilities that can not only provide you with benefits such as free entertainment, tourist attraction access passes etc., but really help save your precious dollars each month. The problem is trying to find them is like negotiating a maze!
- Am I being scammed?
- Is the program or service still valid?
- Is the discounted service genuine?
It is for these reasons Disabled World is continually creating, adding to, and updating the discounted activities and services in this category.
Discounts, Free Services and Special Deals for People with Disabilities in the U.S.
Black and white word cloud featuring words related to discounts and deals.
- Communication: Most U.S. states currently have equipment distribution programs that provide free amplified telephones to residents with hearing impairments - tedpa.org
- Disneyland for Guests with Disabilities: From Assistive Listening systems to Sign Language interpretation and Video Captioning, Disneyland Resorts offer a number of guides to help make your visit easier and more enjoyable. You can download the guides in printable format, or find copies at Disneyland Guest Services locations.
- Home Modifications: There are U.S. federal, state, local and non-profit organizations that can assist with home accessibility improvements such as wheelchair ramps, handrails, grab bars etc. for elderly and/or disabled.
- Reading Services: For those with vision or physical impairments the U.S. Library of Congress offers a "Talking Books" program that provides free braille books, audiobooks, magazines and audio equipment. The Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD) is a web-based service that provides access to thousands of braille and talking books, magazines, and music scores available from NLS. BARD is available to registered users of the braille and talking book program through their local braille and talking book library. In addition, the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) provides a free newspaper and magazine reading service at nfbnewslineonline.org
- Recreation: Most movie theaters, museums, zoos, theme parks and aquariums provide reduced admission to people with disabilities or their carers.
- The U.S. National Park Service offers the "America The Beautiful Access Pass" to disabled residents, which provides free access into national parks and federal recreational lands.
- Taxes: There are numerous U.S. federal tax deductions and credits available to people with disabilities, and a number of U.S. states and counties also offer property tax deductions to disabled homeowners.
- Travel: Amtrak offers several types of rail fare discounts.
- Utilities: Many U.S. utility companies such as electric, gas, phone, water and trash services etc. offer discounts to customers whith disabilities, seniors, the elderly or low income singles and families.
Free and Discounted for UK Disabled
- The recently released Diversability Card, the official discount card for people with disabilities, provides exclusive discounted deals and specials with the UK's brands, service and entertainment providers.
- The CEA Card is a national card scheme developed for UK cinemas, which ensures that participating cinemas make reasonable adjustments for disabled guests when they go to the cinema; in particular, it ensures a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them.
- In order to take advantage of these "freebies" you will often need to provide proof of your disability by a letter from your doctor or some other form of verification before the service(s) can accommodate you.
- Please remember that the items listed are all subject to change at any time! You should always call the service, or visit their web site and use the contact information provided to get in touch with them directly to confirm that the discount, or free access, is still valid before making any plans.
Should you know of other genuinely free or discounted programs, services, access passes etc. that people with disabilities will find useful, then please contact us with the details. We will confirm your submission and, providing it all checks out, add it to our list in this area of Disabled World.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
Disabled World is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, and their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Cite Page: Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Disabled World. Revised Publication Date: 2021-02-09. Title: Free and Discounted Services and Deals for Disabled, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/entertainment/discounts/>Discounts and Free Deals</a>. Retrieved 2021-07-27, from https://www.disabled-world.com/entertainment/discounts/ - Reference: DW#521-17.172.98-6c.