Music by Prudence - An Oscar Winning Documentary Film
Author: Music by Prudence
Music by Prudence tells the self-empowering story of Zimbabwean singer songwriter Prudence Mabhena who was born severely disabled.
Main DigestIn the past year, the Oscar-winning documentary Music by Prudence has inspired thousands of people.
The self-empowering story of Zimbabwean singer-songwriter Prudence Mabhena, who was born severely disabled, has become the cornerstone of an advocacy campaign, and has been embraced by the UN, Human Rights Watch, UNICEF, the US State Department, and the international disability community.
About the film
Music by Prudence tells the self-empowering story of Zimbabwean singer-songwriter Prudence Mabhena, who was born severely disabled. Overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds, Prudence, together with her band, conveys to the world that "disability does not mean inability."
Prudence's poignant, inspiring and irreverent message of hope has received an amazing response from press and audiences all across North America, and has won the 2010 Academy Award® for Best Documentary Short and several other awards as it continues drawing in more audiences.
About the Outreach Program
The Outreach Program's mission is to encourage inclusive education, to influence legislation, and to fight stigma. The program offers screening licenses for a range of event types: from small scale home events, to fundraiser screenings, admission free screenings, and educational use.
Through our Outreach website, we offer extensive materials and organization tools, offering guidelines to community organizations, non-profits, and individuals who do not typically host film screenings. An extensive Screening Guide, Conversation Guide, and many Outreach related templates can be downloaded and easily personalized. musicbyprudence.com/outreach/
About the DVD
Music by Prudence
Oscar winner Music by Prudence is now available on DVD: loaded with tons of wonderful extras! The DVD features the Academy Award-winning documentary short, plus an hour of wonderful extras, including a live concert by Prudence and her band Liyana, music videos and deleted scenes. In addition, there's an awesome commentary by Prudence and director Roger Ross Williams.
Concert by Liyana (25 minutes) Hair (deleted scene) Witch Doctor (deleted scene) Pru's House (deleted scene) Healers (deleted scene) Morning Rituals (deleted scene) Going Nowhere (music video) Dates and Girls (deleted scene) iThemba (music video) KG6 (music video) Commentary by Prudence and director Roger Ross Williams Total playing time: 91 minutes
Music by Prudence documentary short 33 minutes total playing time of DVD: 91 minutes USA/Zimbabwe color English with English subtitles Winner of the Academy Award® for Documentary Short 2010 Rated: Ev - Everybody NTSC Widescreen Region 1 (North America)
For further information please visit - www.musicbyprudence.com/outreach/
- 1 - Deaf Comedian Tom Willard Performs at Caroline's on Broadway : Tom Willard (2018/12/22)
- 2 - Alice Sheppard and Kinetic Light Present NY Premiere of DESCENT : Mariclare Hulbert, Lisa Niedermeyer, Alice Sheppard (2018/03/04)
- 3 - Black Heart Actor Shawn McClain Gives Breakthrough Performance : DAG Consulting (2011/07/20)
- 4 - Musical Putnam is an Uplifting Hit : Dionysus Theatre (2010/06/20)
- 5 - Films Involving or Featuring Disabilities : Thomas C. Weiss (2009/05/12)
- 6 - Free Things to Do On the Weekend When Bored : Disabled World (2017/10/22)
- 7 - Mayer-Johnson Products for People with Disabilities : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2011/11/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.