Weight Loss: Tips for Losing Body Belly Thigh and Hip Fat
Synopsis: Information regarding losing weight from the body such as thigh, hip and belly fat loss.
Updated - Revised Date: 2018-10-02
Weight loss is defined as a reduction of the total body mass, due to a mean loss of fluid, body fat or adipose tissue and/or lean mass, namely bone mineral deposits, muscle, tendon and other connective tissue. Intentional weight loss refers to the loss of total body mass in an effort to improve fitness and health, and to change appearance.
Weight loss, in the context of medicine, health, or physical fitness is defined as a reduction of the total body mass, due to a mean loss of fluid, body fat or adipose tissue and/or lean mass, namely bone mineral deposits, muscle, tendon, and other connective tissue. Intentional weight loss is the loss of total body mass as a result of efforts to improve fitness and health, or to change appearance through slimming.
Weight loss occurs when an individual is in a state of negative energy balance.
When the body is consuming more energy (i.e. in work and metabolism) than it is gaining (i.e. from food or other nutritional supplements), it will use stored reserves from fat or muscle, gradually leading to weight loss.
The calorie intake that is necessary for good functioning of the body is different for men when compared to women because of the different metabolism.
Most of the diets that are meant to assist overweight individuals to lose weight are based on the necessary amount of calories one has to consume every day.
Most nutritionists agree that around 1,200 calories should be consumed each day by women to provide the body with the minimum nutrients necessary to avoid damaging one's health. Males, however, may consume up to 1,500 calories on a daily basis and still lose weight.
It is important to point out that a successful diet is one that promotes physical activity at the same time as fat is a slow burning fuel that requires oxygen, so if oxygen is delivered to muscle cells in sufficient quantities the cells can easily burn fat for most of its energy requirement.
No matter what your current weight is, everyone has fat on their body.
There are many different types of fat that include saturated and unsaturated fats and each of these has their own function, beneficial or not. Many people look at their bodies and target the areas that require work and fat reduction.
Body Mass Index:
Body fat is measured both by how much you weigh according to your height using a Body Mass Index Calculator (BMI), and a Height to Weight Ratio Chart, Generally BMI calculators are fairly accurate and it is accepted that men should have less than 18% total body fat and women 23% or less. However, experts suggest that an excess is not particularly hazardous to health until an individual accumulates 35% and 40% total body fat respectively.
Body Fat Percentage:
Your body fat percentage (Body Fat Percentage Calculator for Men and Women) is simply the percentage of fat your body contains. If you are 150 pounds and 10% fat, it means that your body consists of 15 pounds fat and 135 pounds lean body mass (bone, muscle, organ tissue, blood and everything else).
Crash dieting is not the same as intermittent fasting, in which the individual periodically abstains from food (e.g., every other day).
A crash diet refers to willful nutritional restriction (except water) for more than 12 hours. The desired result is to have the body burn fat for energy with the goal of losing a significant amount of weight in a short time.
There is a possibility of excessive muscle loss, depending on the approach used.
The golden rule of losing weight is to avoid foods that are high in fat and sugars.
These foods are however not only bad for one's body mass, but also for their health and that is why they are so negatively seen by the nutritionists.
Attention to diet in particular can be extremely beneficial in reducing the impact of diabetes and other health risks of an overweight or obese individual.
Deciding to lose your excess body fat loss is a decision that can add many extra years to your life. You will become healthier, live longer, and enjoy life more.
The United States Department of Agriculture Food Guide Pyramid is a graphical representation allowing people to better understand how to eat healthy. A balanced diet is one that includes all the food groups of the food pyramid.
- Dietary supplements, though widely used, are not considered a healthy option for weight loss.
- Bariatric surgery may be indicated in cases of severe obesity.
- According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), healthy individuals seeking to maintain their weight should consume 2,000 calories (8.4 MJ) per day.
- Low-calorie regimen diets are also referred to as balanced percentage diets.
- Weight loss in individuals who are overweight or obese can reduce health risks, increase fitness,and may delay the onset of diabetes.
- Weight gain has been associated with excessive consumption of fats, sugars, carbohydrates in general, and alcohol consumption.
- The least intrusive weight loss methods, and those most often recommended, are adjustments to eating patterns and increased physical activity, generally in the form of exercise.
- A crash diet is the willful restriction of nutritional intake (except water) for more than 12 waking hours.
- Weight loss occurs when the body is expending more energy in work and metabolism than it is absorbing from food or other nutrients.
Lose Face Fat, Double Chin, Loose Jowls and Look Healthier - Simon Bowen - (2011-01-31)
Getting Rid of Flabby Loose Skin After Weight Loss - Disabled World - (2014-05-27)
Weight Loss Planning Calculator for Women and Men - Disabled World - (2010-12-26)
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
- 1 - Better to Be Shaped Like a Pear Than an Apple : Intermountain Medical Center (2016/04/04)
- 2 - Belly Fat - Heart Failure Risk Increases With Waistline : Norwegian University of Science and Technology (2016/04/03)
- 3 - Obesity Treatments: Ways to Lose Excess Weight : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/08/06)
- 4 - The Health Risks of Obesity : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/08/01)
- 5 - Obesity: Health Dangers of Being Overweight : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/06/22)
- 6 - Diet Soda Increases Belly Fat in Seniors : Wiley (2015/03/17)
- 7 - Hormone Levels & Weight Gain During Menopause : Disabled World (2014/07/09)
Losing Weight: Full Document List
Disclaimer: Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Disclosure: Disabled World is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information.