Not Eating or Skipping Meals Can Actually Make You Gain Weight
Synopsis: Doctors at Ace Medical Weight Loss Center explain why not eating or skipping meals when trying to lose weight will make you gain weight.1
Author: Ace Medical Weight Loss Center
Published: 2014-04-14 Updated: 2014-04-17
Main DigestFad diets that promise weight loss by not eating or eating little or skipping meals are abundant. Choosing the correct weight loss method is important.
Many people choose to instead skip meals or not eat to lose weight. Dr. Grewal and Dr. Nwe of Ace Medical Weight Loss Center warn of the dangers of skipping meals. "Every week we see a patient trying to lose weight by skipping breakfast and sometimes even lunch eating only once a day. But instead of losing weight they are gaining the weight. It sounds logical that if you eat less often you will lose weight. But that is far from the truth. That is not how our body metabolism works." emphasizes Dr. Nwe, who is a renowned weight loss expert.
It is very important to eat regularly when trying to lose weight. Dr. Nwe and Dr. Grewal explain why it is important to NOT skip meals during the weight loss process. It is for the following four reasons:
- Digesting the food is a major calorie burner. Not eating regularly lowers the body's metabolic rate decreasing calorie consumption.
- Not eating kicks our body into 'starvation mode' pushing our body to conserve food and store it as fat.
- Not eating increases stress on the body. Stress releases steroid hormones to counter this threat and one side effect of steroids is weight gain.
- Skipping meals increases craving for junk food and processed food. And these are the foods notorious for packing on pounds. So most of those who skip meals tend to chose worse alternatives i.e. processed foods when they decide to eat.
"It is important to eat five times a day while trying to lose weight," says Dr. Myo Nwe, a board certified obesity Medicine physician and inventor of the SlimPlate System "It keeps the metabolism in fat burning mode." Dr. Myo Nwe and Dr. Sandeep Grewal invented the SlimPlate System, a diet system which lets one eat five times a day. The SlimPlate System is based on the portion control weight loss method. The SlimPlate System is designed to make the habit of eating regularly and is a better weight loss plan compared to others.
For those who want to learn more, the doctors are offering a new Online Weight Loss Program "Shaping the Perfect You". Registration is easy and free and can be completed at www.SlimplateSystem.com/Register
Dr. Sandeep Grewal and Dr. Myo Nwe are the founders of Ace Medical Weight Loss Center, the inventors of the SlimPlate System and its related mobile apps. Dr. Nwe is a diplomat of the American Board of Obesity Medicine and Internal Medicine. Dr. Grewal a diplomat of the American Board of Internal Medicine. He has been named one of Charlotte Business Journal's "Forty Under 40", received the magazine's 2012 "Innovation in Health Care" award and Vitals "Top 10 Doctor" 2013 award.
- 1: Can Beer Be Part of a Healthy Diet? : AAEA (2017/11/06)
- 2: Prolonged Fasting Induces Immune System Regeneration : Disabled World (2014/06/15)
- 3: Low-Carb Diets Versus Low-Fat Dieting : Thomas C. Weiss (2014/09/25)
- 4: How Often Should You Weigh Yourself When Dieting : Cornell Food and Brand Lab (2014/12/18)
- 5: 5 Bite Diet Plan by Dr. Alwin Lewis : Disabled World (2014/12/28)
- 6: What Does it Take to Burn off Calories If I Eat or Drink a Food Item : Disabled World (2018/09/08)
- 7: How the Western Diet Leads to Overeating and Obesity : University of California - Riverside (2017/01/23)
Disclaimer: Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Disclosure: Disabled World is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Ace Medical Weight Loss Center. Electronic Publication Date: 2014-04-14. Last Revised Date: 2014-04-17. Reference Title: Not Eating or Skipping Meals Can Actually Make You Gain Weight, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/diets/not-eating.php>Not Eating or Skipping Meals Can Actually Make You Gain Weight</a>. Abstract: Doctors at Ace Medical Weight Loss Center explain why not eating or skipping meals when trying to lose weight will make you gain weight. Retrieved 2021-02-26, from https://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/diets/not-eating.php - Reference Category Number: DW#261-10227.