Health Benefits of Swimming for Exercise
Published : 2010-09-16 - Updated : 2014-02-11
Author : Sandstorm Boutique
Synopsis: Swimming one of the best weapons to combat the obesity crisis that threatens our future generations.
Main DigestSwimming is Britain's top participation sport about 12 million people take part on a very regular basis.
Not only is swimming one of the best weapons to combat the obesity crisis that threatens our future generations it also offers everything from family fun to strenuous exercise.
Did you know
- There are no barriers to swimming in terms of gender, skills or age.
- Swimming can be a solo almost meditative exercise and it can be a sociable experience at the hub of the community.
- Swimming is weather-proof.
- Up to 90% of the swimmer's body weight is borne by the water, making the pool a better option than dry land for workouts, particularly for the elderly, and those suffering from injury, disability or arthritis.
Water is 800 times denser than air, so its resistance requires 30% more effort from the muscles moving through it. Therefore, more key muscle groups are used in swimming than other sports, promoting muscle growth, fat burning and the development of anti-aging hormones.
Swimming Calorie Counter
- 30 minutes exercise for a swimmer weighing 70kg
- Fast crawl or butterfly burns 404 calories
- Breaststroke burns 367 calories
- Backstroke or slow crawl burns 257 calories
Editor: How to Count and Calculate Calories
You're reading Disabled World. See our homepage for informative disability news, reviews, sports, stories and how-tos. You can also connect with us on social media such as Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Cite Page: Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Sandstorm Boutique. Electronic Publication Date: 2010-09-16 - Revised: 2014-02-11. Title: Health Benefits of Swimming for Exercise, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/exercise/swimming-exercise.php>Health Benefits of Swimming for Exercise</a>. Retrieved 2021-06-18, from https://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/exercise/swimming-exercise.php - Reference: DW#232-5400.