Health Benefits of Swimming for Exercise
Published 2010-09-16 14:53:11 - (10 years ago). Last updated 2014-02-11 17:19:17 - (6 years ago).
Author: Sandstorm Boutique
Outline: Swimming one of the best weapons to combat the obesity crisis that threatens our future generations.
Main DigestSwimming is Britain's top participation sport about 12 million people take part on a very regular basis.
Not only is swimming one of the best weapons to combat the obesity crisis that threatens our future generations it also offers everything from family fun to strenuous exercise.
Did you know
- There are no barriers to swimming in terms of gender, skills or age.
- Swimming can be a solo almost meditative exercise and it can be a sociable experience at the hub of the community.
- Swimming is weather-proof.
- Up to 90% of the swimmer's body weight is borne by the water, making the pool a better option than dry land for workouts, particularly for the elderly, and those suffering from injury, disability or arthritis.
Water is 800 times denser than air, so its resistance requires 30% more effort from the muscles moving through it. Therefore, more key muscle groups are used in swimming than other sports, promoting muscle growth, fat burning and the development of anti-aging hormones.
Swimming Calorie Counter
- 30 minutes exercise for a swimmer weighing 70kg
- Fast crawl or butterfly burns 404 calories
- Breaststroke burns 367 calories
- Backstroke or slow crawl burns 257 calories
Editor: How to Count and Calculate Calories
- 1 - Exercises to Strengthen Pelvic Floor Muscles | Dr Jenny Tylee (2009-03-24 18:48:00)
- 2 - Wheelchair Exercises and Fitness Training | Disabled World (2009-02-10 13:43:00)
- 3 - HealthPedal: Pedal Powered Mobility and Fitness Wheelchair Device | HealthPedal (2019-07-19 16:49:00)
- 4 - Green Exercise for Good Mental Health | American Chemical Society (2010-05-01 18:48:02)
- 5 - Wheelchair Fitness: Invictus Active Trainer | Invictus Active (2015-10-07 12:11:22)