Health Benefits of Swimming for Exercise
Published: 2010-09-16 - Updated: 2014-02-11
Author: Sandstorm Boutique
Peer-Reviewed Publication: N/A
Additional References: Exercising with Disability Publications
Synopsis: Swimming one of the best weapons to combat the obesity crisis that threatens our future generations. Swimming is Britain's top participation sport about 12 million people take part on a very regular basis.
Swimming is Britain's top participation sport about 12 million people take part on a very regular basis.
Not only is swimming one of the best weapons to combat the obesity crisis that threatens our future generations it also offers everything from family fun to strenuous exercise.
Did you know
- There are no barriers to swimming in terms of gender, skills or age.
- Swimming can be a solo almost meditative exercise and it can be a sociable experience at the hub of the community.
- Swimming is weather-proof.
- Up to 90% of the swimmer's body weight is borne by the water, making the pool a better option than dry land for workouts, particularly for the elderly, and those suffering from injury, disability or arthritis.
Water is 800 times denser than air, so its resistance requires 30% more effort from the muscles moving through it. Therefore, more key muscle groups are used in swimming than other sports, promoting muscle growth, fat burning and the development of anti-aging hormones.
Swimming Calorie Counter
- 30 minutes exercise for a swimmer weighing 70kg
- Fast crawl or butterfly burns 404 calories
- Breaststroke burns 367 calories
- Backstroke or slow crawl burns 257 calories
Editor: How to Count and Calculate Calories
Disabled World is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative news, reviews, sports, stories and how-tos. You can also connect with us on Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disabled World provides general information only. The materials presented are never meant to substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Financial support is derived from advertisements or referral programs, where indicated. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.
• Cite This Page (APA): Sandstorm Boutique. (2010, September 16). Health Benefits of Swimming for Exercise. Disabled World. Retrieved February 6, 2023 from www.disabled-world.com/fitness/exercise/swimming-exercise.php
• Permalink: <a href="https://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/exercise/swimming-exercise.php">Health Benefits of Swimming for Exercise</a>