Garlic Oil Protective Effect Against Heart Disease in Diabetes
Author: American Chemical Society
Synopsis and Key Points:
Garlic has significant potential for preventing cardiomyopathy that is a leading cause of death in people with diabetes.
Main DigestGarlic has "significant" potential for preventing cardiomyopathy, a form of heart disease that is a leading cause of death in people with diabetes, scientists have concluded in a new study.
Their report, which also explains why people with diabetes are at high risk for diabetic cardiomyopathy, appears in ACS' bi-weekly Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
Wei-Wen Kuo and colleagues note that people with diabetes have at least twice the risk of death from heart disease as others, with heart disease accounting for 80 percent of all diabetes-related deaths. They are especially vulnerable to a form of heart disease termed diabetic cardiomyopathy, which inflames and weakens the heart's muscle tissue. Kuo's group had hints from past studies that garlic might protect against heart disease in general and also help control the abnormally high blood sugar levels that occur in diabetes. But they realized that few studies had been done specifically on garlic's effects on diabetic cardiomyopathy.
The scientists fed either garlic oil or corn oil to laboratory rats with diabetes. Animals given garlic oil experienced beneficial changes associated with protection against heart damage. The changes appeared to be associated with the potent antioxidant properties of garlic oil, the scientists say, adding that they identified more than 20 substances in garlic oil that may contribute to the effect. "In conclusion, garlic oil possesses significant potential for protecting hearts from diabetes-induced cardiomyopathy," the report notes.
- 1 - Is Genetically Modified Soybean Oil Healthy? : University of California - Riverside (2015/03/09)
- 2 - Including Canola Oil in Diet May Cut Belly Fat : Victoria M. Indivero - Pennsylvania State University (2016/11/02)
- 3 - Status of Fish Oil with Regards to Purity : Dr. Dave's Best (2010/04/02)
- 4 - Delaying Fat Digestion to Curb Appetite : Norwich BioScience Institutes (2010/08/19)
- 5 - High Omega-6 Fatty Acid Levels Can Protect Against Premature Death : University of Eastern Finland (2018/04/01)
- 6 - Omega-3 from Fish Better Than from Flax for Cancer Prevention : University of Guelph (2018/01/27)
- 7 - Eat Fat and Live Longer - High Fat Diet Increases Longevity and Strength : University of California - Davis (2017/09/14)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.