Fluoridated Water Not Recommended for Infants
Author: Fluoride Action Network(i) : Contact: fluoridealert.org
Published: 2010-10-07 : (Rev. 2020-03-30)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Research study confirms infants fed formula reconstituted with fluoridated water are at greater risk of developing discolored teeth (dental fluorosis).
Approximately half of the newborns and infants I see in practice are fed formula reconstituted with fluoridated water, which I find alarming...
FAN is the leading science and advocacy group focused on health issues surrounding fluoride in water, food, air, pesticides, and industrial exposures.
Parents Should be Warned: Fluoridated Water is Not Recommended for Infants - New study confirms bottle-fed babies are overexposed to fluoride.
A new study confirms infants fed formula reconstituted with fluoridated water are at greater risk of developing discolored teeth (dental fluorosis). (1) The American Dental Association (ADA) warned dentists about this in 2006 but has done little or nothing to inform the nearly 200 million Americans who live in communities with fluoridated drinking water.
The study by Levy et al., a Journal of the American Dental Association cover story (October 2010), confirms Levy's earlier studies, which show "[F]luoride intakes during each of the first 4 years were individually significantly related to fluorosis on maxillary central incisors, with the first year most important," and that "[I]nfant formulas reconstituted with higher fluoride water can provide 100 to 200 times more fluoride than breast-milk, or cow's milk." (2, 3)
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), 32% of American children have dental fluorosis, an increase of 23% from the 1980s. (4) Black and Hispanic populations have even higher rates. Dental fluorosis is a visible sign that a child was overexposed to fluoride. Pictures of fluorosis: www.fluoridealert.org/health/teeth/fluorosis/moderate-severe.html
"The message from Dr. Levy's work is loud and clear: Don't give babies fluoridated water," says Paul Connett, PhD, Executive Director, Fluoride Action Network (FAN). "Unfortunately the ADA has known about these risks for more than four years. Researchers are telling dentists; but dentists are not telling parents."
This and other little-known adverse fluoride health effects led Connett to co-author, "The Case Against Fluoride: How Hazardous Waste Ended Up in Our Drinking Water and the Bad Science and Powerful Politics that Keep it There," with James Beck, MD, PhD, professor emeritus of medical physics, University of Alberta and Spedding Micklem, DPhil, professor emeritus at Edinburgh University.
A recent review in The Lancet describes fluoride as "an emerging neuro-toxic substance" that may damage the developing brain. The National Research Council (NRC) has identified fluoride as an "endocrine disrupter" that may impair thyroid function. A recent Harvard University study links fluoride to bone cancer.
"Approximately half of the newborns and infants I see in practice are fed formula reconstituted with fluoridated water, which I find alarming since the blood-brain barrier is not even developed until 6 months of age, placing these young infants at risk for neuro-toxic effects that can be severe and permanent," says Dr. Yolanda Whyte, a pediatrician in Georgia. "Parents should be warned not to give fluoridated water to babies and children, and they should know that fluoride is also present in juice and other water-reconstituted beverages. I diagnose dental fluorosis on average 5 times daily, but fluoride doesn't only affect teeth, it can potentially affect the brain and nervous system, kidneys, bones, and other tissues in young children during their critical stages of organ development. A public awareness campaign is urgently needed."
FAN will launch a campaign in November to urge water companies and public-health officials to inform parents that fluoridated water should not be mixed into infant formula. "If the ADA and CDC won't educate parents, then FAN will," said Connett.
FAN is the leading science and advocacy group focused on health issues surrounding fluoride in water, food, air, pesticides, and industrial exposures. Dr. Connett was an invited presenter at the initial meeting of the NRC panel and FAN researchers submitted extensive scientific information throughout the panel's proceedings.
- (1) 2010 Levy Study: jada.ada.org/cgi/content/abstract/141/10/1190
- (2) Hong L, Levy SM, et al. (2006). Timing of fluoride intake in relation to development of fluorosis on maxillary central incisors. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 34(4):299-309.
- (3) Levy SM, Guha-Chowdhury N. (1999). Total fluoride intake and implications for dietary fluoride supplementation. Journal of Public Health Dentistry 59: 211-23.
- (4) CDC statistics: www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/figures/s403a1t23.gif
(i)Source/Reference: Fluoride Action Network. Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
- 1 - Homeowners Less Likely to Be Food Insecure Than Renters : U.S. Census Bureau (2016/11/18)
- 2 - Food Security AAAS 2016: Building Resilience Into the World's Food System : ETH Zurich (2016/02/14)
- 3 - SNAP: The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps) : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2012/08/27)
- 4 - Genetically Modified Food: GM Foods List and Information : Disabled World (2009/09/22)
- 5 - Fluoride Can Damage the Brain : NYS Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation (2011/06/24)
- 6 - Fluoridated Water Not Recommended for Infants : Fluoride Action Network (2010/10/07)
- 7 - Fish Consumption Advice from U.S. FDA and EPA : U.S. Food and Drug Administration and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (2017/01/18)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.