Mangosteen a Natural Pain Relief for Fibromyalgia
Author: Disabled World : Contact: www.disabled-world.com
Published: 2010-11-03 : (Rev. 2019-10-23)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Mangosteen is thought to be able to provide fibromyalgia pain relief including nerve pain relief.
Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana), also known as the purple mangosteen, is a tropical evergreen tree with edible fruit native to Southeast Asia.
Mangosteen has powerful compounds called xanthones that work to do a couple of amazing things in the body.
Using a good quality mangosteen supplement is a great way to become acquainted with the wonders of natural pain relief. Mangosteen is thought to be able to provide fibromyalgia pain relief including nerve pain relief as well as helping with fibromyalgia tender points or points which become inflamed due to the condition.
So What is this Supposedly Miracle Fruit?
Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana), also known as the purple mangosteen, is a tropical evergreen tree with edible fruit native to Southeast Asia. The fruit as well as the juice, rind, twig, and bark contain a number of active compounds (most notably xanthones) that have antioxidant and other important properties.
In laboratory experiments, mangosteen extracts have shown some promising effects, which include halting the growth of some bacteria and fungi and slowing the growth of some cancer cells - Celeste Robb-Nicholson, M.D. Editor in Chief, Harvard Women's Health Watch
Xanthones (a form of antioxidant) found in high quantities in mangosteen fruit have been found to offer numerous benefits such as relief and/or treatment of diarrhea, urinary tract infections (UTIs), gonorrhea, thrush, tuberculosis, menstrual disorders, cancer, osteoarthritis, and an intestinal infection called dysentery. It is also used for stimulating the human immune system and improving overall mental health. One of the most recent discoveries is helping with Fibromyalgia. In fact he people of Southeast Asia have used mangosteen fruit for medicinal purposes for hundreds of years. Mangosteen has powerful compounds called xanthones that work to do a couple of amazing things in the body.
Garcinia mangostana L. from "Fleurs, Fruits et Feuillages Choisis de l'Ile de Java" (Selected Flowers, Fruit and Foliage from the Island of Java)
First off, they are a world class anti-inflammatory.
Most chronic illness is caused by low-level inflammation within the body. In the case of fibromyalgia, this inflammation isn't so minor and can be especially severe in the myofascia which is the thin connective tissue that helps hold our muscles in place. This tissue is what is thought to be the cause of the pain associated with fibromyalgia (once it goes through a thickening and tightening). It stands to reason that decreasing inflammation in the body, including the myofascia, will decrease pain in anyone suffering from the thickening and tightening mentioned above.
Mangosteen also has COX-2 inhibitors in high concentrations. COX-2 is an enzyme thought to be responsible for pain and inflammation in the body.
So you can see how using mangosteen as a dietary supplement has the potential to help a person deal with their chronic pain. Alternative pain relief isn't just a pipe dream. It is out there, it does really exist but a steady dietary intake of a good quality supplement is required to feel any benefits.
Only buy mangosteen products sold in solid form as all the beneficial compounds are found in the rind of the fruit.
Companies that sell you juiced mangosteen products don't want to include much rind because it doesn't taste very good and you can't get any juice out of it. To be honest, mangosteen juice doesn't taste that great either so a lot of companies will add other fruit juices to cover up the mangosteen taste. In other words, don't waste your money on mangosteen juice. When you buy a supplement you're buying it for its benefits, not its taste, so make sure you invest in a mangosteen product that is made from the rind to help get your Fibromyalgia under control.
- 1: Purple Potatoes May Help Kill and Prevent Spread of Colon Cancer : Penn State (2015/08/28)
- 2: Sulforaphane in Vegetables May Improve Autism : Massachusetts General Hospital (2014/10/14)
- 3: Eating Beets Builds a Healthier Brain : Wake Forest University (2010/11/06)
- 4: Beetroot Juice Could Help People Live More Active Lives : University of Exeter (2010/12/17)
- 5: Daily Glass of Beetroot Juice May Lower Blood Pressure : American Heart Association (2013/04/15)
- 6: Live Well By Eating Green Foods : Disabled World (2020/10/01)
- 7: Kidney Patients Medicine Expenses Cut by Eating More Fruit and Vegetables : American Heart Association (2016/09/16)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.