Options for Treating Arthritis
Author: Alex Trenor
Published: 2010-06-21 : (Rev. 2010-06-25)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Article examines a number of treatment methods for arthritis and arthritic pain.
Main DigestArthritis is caused by a variety of factors including joint instability, age-related changes, altered biochemistry, hormonal factors, environmental factors, and psychological factors.
What causes arthritis
Arthritis is caused by a variety of factors including joint instability, age-related changes, altered biochemistry, hormonal factors, environmental factors, and psychological factors. Stress can also cause arthritis since stress disrupts the body's hormonal balance.
Stress-induced cortisone deficiency can be a factor in some forms of arthritis. When body systems release adrenalin and cortisone, it weakens the immune system. As a result, bacteria and other detrimental organisms spread throughout the body.
How is arthritis treated - Treatments for arthritis include rest and relaxation, exercise, proper diet, medication, and instruction about the proper use of joints and ways to conserve energy. Other treatments include the use of methods to relieve pain, and assistive devices such as splints or braces. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary.
Ideally, the doctor and patient work together to develop a treatment plan that helps the patient maintain or improve his or her lifestyle. Treatment plans usually combine several types of treatment and vary depending on the arthritic condition and the patient.
Can arthritis be cured - There is no cure for arthritis but there are available treatments that can ease pain and stiffness. The treatments available address the symptoms. Proper treatment can really help the patients with arthritis.
What are the side effects of the most common arthritis medications - NSAID or the Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs and painkillers are the most popular and the most commonly prescribed drugs for arthritis. Several types of NSAID are on the market. The most famous are the acetylated, COX, Selective Inhibitors.
NSAID works harshly on some of the enzymes and in blocking the activity of the cells. In some cases the risk of developing other health problems is increased with continuous taking of NSAID. According to some patients, they experience dizziness, insomnia and headache after taking these drugs.
Can acupuncture help arthritis - The National Arthritis, Musculoskeletal, and Skin Diseases Information Clearinghouse says that acupuncture can help minimize the pain of arthritis. Some researchers believe that the needles used in acupuncture help regulate the flow of natural painkillers.
Some hospitals in the United States offer acupuncture therapy, and there are several cases that prove how acupuncture has helped in surgery for rheumatic conditions.
Can a chiropractor help arthritis - There is evidence that chiropractic can help people suffering from arthritis. It also allows the spinal manipulation that helps regulate different joints as well as the spinal column. A good chiropractor can adjust all the joints of the body, allowing them to work normally.
There are several methods of chiropractic therapy that combine proper nutrition with overall massage to produce better health.
Should I exercise or NOT exercise arthritic joints - Many arthritis sufferers think it is harmful for them to exercise the affected area. This is a mistaken idea that has persisted for many years.
If arthritis attacks, the patient should exercise in order to increase blood flow to the affected area. Many researchers have discussed how important it is to exercise during an attack of arthritis. In fact, exercise is essential in managing your arthritis.
Also see: Learning to Live with Arthritis | How to Treat your Arthritis Naturally at Home
- 1 - List of Different Types of Arthritis : Disabled World (2015/06/23)
- 2 - Painkillers and Medicines Used to Treat Arthritis : Sally Rider (2010/06/21)
- 3 - Arthritis and Playing Musical Instruments : JD (2010/06/22)
- 4 - Post-Traumatic Arthritis: Symptoms, Prevention & Treatment : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/12/01)
- 5 - Arthritis Turning America Into a Disabled Nation : MOVEMENT IS LIFE (2010/08/03)
- 6 - Younger Veterans Develop Arthritis at Higher Rates and Younger Age : The Rep for Vet (2013/11/20)
- 7 - Obesity and Knee Arthritis : American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (2011/02/14)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.