Anaplastic Adrenal Cancer
Author: Sally Rider
Published: 2009-04-01 : (Rev. 2015-12-23)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Anaplastic Adrenal Cancer is a sub-type of adrenal cancer which shows virtually no cellular differentiation.
Adrenocortical cancers (ACs) are uncommon malignancies that can have protean clinical manifestations. Adrenocortical masses are common; autopsy studies show that approximately 5-15% of the general adult population may have adrenal incidentalomas.
Adrenocortical Cancer Alternate Names:
- Adrenal Carcinoma
- Anaplastic Adrenal Cancer
- Adrenocortical carcinoma
- Adrenal cortical carcinoma (ACC)
- Adrenal cortex cancer
Anaplastic Adrenal Cancer is a sub-type of adrenal cancer which shows virtually no cellular differentiation. It is not associated with overproduction of hormones as is seen in other types of adrenal carcinomas. Abdominal pain is a presenting symptom.
Regardless of size, approximately 1 per 1500 adrenal tumors is malignant. The evaluation of these incidentalomas, therefore, focuses on:
- (1) identifying functional masses and treating them appropriately (including surgical removal)
- (2) identifying adrenal carcinomas early, with the intent of attempting complete surgical extirpation
- (3) reassuring the patients who do not fit either of these classes and arranging for their subsequent follow-up.
CT and MRI imaging are used in the diagnosis of adrenal lesions, but a biopsy is required for definite diagnosis.
Radical surgical excision is the treatment for individuals with localized malignancies and remains the only method by which long-term disease-free survival may be achieved.
Median survival for anaplastic adrenal cancer is 5 months as compared with a median survival of 40 months for differentiated adrenal cancers.
- 1: Signs of Impending Death from Cancer : University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center (2015/02/09)
- 2: Suspected Cancer Carcinogens Report Outlines Knowledge Gaps : American Cancer Society (2010/07/15)
- 3: Carcinomatosis: General Information and Treatment : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/11/29)
- 4: Things That Cause Cancer : List of Known Carcinogens in Humans : Disabled World (2014/10/11)
- 5: Types of Cancer Survival Rate Statistics Table : Disabled World (2010/07/15)
- 6: No Need for Coffee Cancer Warning in California : U.S. FDA (2018/09/02)
- 7: Cancer Linked BPA's: Paper Receipts - Plastics - Cans : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/06/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.