Anaplastic Adrenal Cancer
- Publish Date: 2009/04/01 - (Rev. 2015/12/23)
- Author: Sally Rider
Outline: Anaplastic Adrenal Cancer is a sub-type of adrenal cancer which shows virtually no cellular differentiation.
Adrenocortical cancers (ACs) are uncommon malignancies that can have protean clinical manifestations. Adrenocortical masses are common; autopsy studies show that approximately 5-15% of the general adult population may have adrenal incidentalomas.
Adrenocortical Cancer Alternate Names:
- Adrenal Carcinoma
- Anaplastic Adrenal Cancer
- Adrenocortical carcinoma
- Adrenal cortical carcinoma (ACC)
- Adrenal cortex cancer
Anaplastic Adrenal Cancer is a sub-type of adrenal cancer which shows virtually no cellular differentiation. It is not associated with overproduction of hormones as is seen in other types of adrenal carcinomas. Abdominal pain is a presenting symptom.
Regardless of size, approximately 1 per 1500 adrenal tumors is malignant. The evaluation of these incidentalomas, therefore, focuses on:
- (1) identifying functional masses and treating them appropriately (including surgical removal)
- (2) identifying adrenal carcinomas early, with the intent of attempting complete surgical extirpation
- (3) reassuring the patients who do not fit either of these classes and arranging for their subsequent follow-up.
CT and MRI imaging are used in the diagnosis of adrenal lesions, but a biopsy is required for definite diagnosis.
Radical surgical excision is the treatment for individuals with localized malignancies and remains the only method by which long-term disease-free survival may be achieved.
Median survival for anaplastic adrenal cancer is 5 months as compared with a median survival of 40 months for differentiated adrenal cancers.
- 1 - Building a Healthy Immune System to Help Fight Cancer Disease and Illness | Tony Isaacs | 2010/04/09
- 2 - Cancer Awareness Ribbons Color Chart | Disabled World | 2019/02/28
- 3 - Cancer Survival Rate Statistics by Type of Cancer | Disabled World | 2010/07/15
- 4 - No Need for Coffee Cancer Warning in California | U.S. FDA | 2018/09/02
- 5 - Cancer Causing Agents: List of Currently Known Human Carcinogens | Disabled World | 2014/10/11