What is Metastatic or Advanced Cancer
Author: Frank Ward
Published: 2008-07-20 : (Rev. 2016-10-29)
Synopsis and Key Points:
When it comes to the prevention advanced and metastatic cancer, the only way to control its spread is to detect it at the earliest stage and destroy it.
Advanced cancer is a term used for cancer that has grown beyond an organ were it initiated from usually, such a cancer is spread widely throughout the body and the stage is also known as metastatic cancer. However, an advanced cancer cannot be categorized into a stage of metastatic cancer always. Most of the time metastatic cancer is categorized into an advanced stage if it affects a vital organ of body and is impossible to remove.
Metastasis - (meh-TAS-tuh-sis) - Metastatic cancer is defined as cancer that has spread from the place where it first started to another place in the body. The plural form of metastasis is metastases (meh-TAS-tuh-SEEZ). A tumor formed by metastatic cancer cells is called a metastatic tumor or a metastasis. The process by which cancer cells spread to other parts of the body is also called metastasis. In metastasis, cancer cells break away from the original (primary) tumor, travel through the blood or lymph system, and form a new tumor in other organs or tissues of the body. The new, metastatic tumor is the same type of cancer as the primary tumor.
The term advanced cancer also indicates that the cancer cannot be removed or cured.
However, this doesn't mean that the cancer does not require any sort of treatment. Treatment given to this type of a cancer can shrink it and also relieve symptoms, in turn, facilitate you live a longer life. Studies say that some people can live for many years even after suffering from advanced cancer.
The cancer of every person is unique. It is likely that the cancer of a particular person may respond differently to treatments and often grow at a different pace as compared to the same cancer of the some other person. It is surprising but true that there are people who come to know about cancer when it has already reached the advanced stage.
Some people tend to develop advanced cancer after undertaking years of treatment.
Usually, advanced cancer occur once someone suffers from this disease for a good amount of time and the treatment is no longer effective when it comes to retarding the growth of cancer. However, the control of symptoms associated to advanced cancer including pain and depression continue to respond to the treatment.
When it comes to the prevention advanced and metastatic cancer, the only way to control its spread is to detect it at the earliest stage and destroy it. As per the recommendation of the America Cancer Society, the early detection tests of this disease related to prostate, cervix, breast and colon prevents its spread. However, most people are not aware of the symptoms, hence, they do not follow the recommendations. This results in the spread of cancer. Usually cancer tests are not accurate and hence cannot be found early.
Many researches and studies are being undertaken in order to find out effective measures to prevent cancer from spreading. Some drugs are being studied that may block the enzymes that support the cancer growth via blood vessels walls. Some of the drugs are invented to block the formation of new blood vessels. Doctors believe in providing drugs after surgery to patients suffering from breast or colorectal cancer so that the cancer cells that might have erupted from the primary tumor are killed.
Finding out advanced cancer is very difficult.
A normal way to detect advanced cancer is to compare how closely the cancer cells resemble normal cells. If the cells appear normal, then the chances of the spread of cancer are very less. In case, the cancer is detected in the lymph nodes nearby, it is quite possible that the cancer has already spread to far off areas.
- 1 - Things That Cause Cancer : List of Known Carcinogens in Humans : Disabled World (2014/10/11)
- 2 - Types of Cancer Survival Rate Statistics Table : Disabled World (2010/07/15)
- 3 - No Need for Coffee Cancer Warning in California : U.S. FDA (2018/09/02)
- 4 - Cancer Linked BPA's: Paper Receipts - Plastics - Cans : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/06/03)
- 5 - Bladder Carcinoma: Bladder Cancer Stages and Information : Thomas C. Weiss (2009/04/01)
- 6 - Building a Healthy Immune System to Help Fight Cancer Disease and Illness : Tony Isaacs (2010/04/09)
- 7 - Cancer Awareness Ribbons Color Chart : Disabled World (2019/02/28)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.