Drinking Beer May Be Good For Heart Health
Author: Victoria M Indivero : Contact: psu.edu
Published: 2016-11-23 : (Rev. 2016-11-24)
While drinking wine in moderation can be good for your health, new research indicates drinking beer may also have health benefits.
Previous research suggests that drinking wine in moderation can be good for your health, but new research indicates that drinking beer may also have health benefits.
Shue Huang, a doctoral candidate in nutritional sciences at Penn State, and colleagues found that moderate drinkers had the slowest decline in high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or the so-called "good" cholesterol, levels.
A moderate level of drinking for men is one to two drinks per day, and for women a half to one drink per day.
Drinking beer had a positive effect on HDL levels even among heavy drinkers - but for hard liquor only light to moderate drinking was beneficial, meaning for men less than one serving per day and for women 0-0.4 servings per day.
There were not enough wine drinkers in this population to test the effects on HDL.
The researchers considered a serving to be 12 fluid ounces of beer, 1.5 fluid ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits, or 5 fluid ounces of wine.
Huang and colleagues followed more than 80,000 participants for six years and found that while HDL levels declined over time, those who drank beer had a slower decrease in HDL, therefore a lower risk of cardiovascular diseases.
This particular study was conducted in China, but previous studies suggest that other populations would experience a similar effect, according to the researchers.
Huang presented this preliminary study on Nov. 13 at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2016 in New Orleans.
- 1 - Where Does Blood Come From? How The First Blood Cells Form : Lund University (2017/04/06)
- 2 - Eating at Night, Sleeping By Day Alters Key Blood Proteins : University of Colorado at Boulder (2018/05/25)
- 3 - Lower Heart Attack Risk in Those with Type O Blood : European Society of Cardiology (2017/04/30)
- 4 - Natural Biological Heart Pacemakers an Alternative : Wiley-Blackwell (2009/04/09)
- 5 - Americans in the Dark Over Facts and Risk of Heart Disease : MDVIP (2019/02/19)
- 6 - Postural Orthostatic Tachyardia Syndrome (POTS) : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2012/07/13)
- 7 - Heart Palpitations: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment : Thomas C. Weiss (2010/09/30)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.