ROGAINE - First FDA Approved Product for Female Hair Loss
Author: McNEIL-PPC, Inc. : Contact: -
Synopsis and Key Points:
Clinically proven to regrow hair in 81%1 of women experiencing thinning hair associated with hereditary hair loss.
1 in 3 women will notice hair thinning in her lifetime, and it can start as early as her 20's. Today, the hair regrowth category leader, ROGAINE Brand, announced the official launch to market of Women's ROGAINE 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol, the first and only FDA-approved, once-daily use treatment for Female Pattern Hair Loss containing 5 percent minoxidil in an elegant foam formula. Minoxidil is the only topical ingredient FDA-approved to help regrow hair.
An antihypertensive vasodilator medication. It also slows or stops hair loss and promotes hair regrowth. Now off-patent, it is available over-the-counter for the treatment of androgenic alopecia. Minoxidil is widely used for the treatment of hair loss. It has been proven clinically effective in both the prevention of loss and in establishing varying degrees of hair re-growth in males and females suffering pattern baldness.
Women's ROGAINE 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol, penetrates into the scalp, with gentle massaging to reactivate hair follicles and stimulate hair regrowth. Clinical studies show that with once daily use of Women's ROGAINE 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol for 24 weeks, 81 percent1 of women regrew hair, with initial results as early as 12 weeks and new hairs coming in up to 48 percent(2) thicker than before.
This innovation is a welcome solution to women looking for a proven solution to treat the condition rather than a cosmetic, quick fix.
Survey findings(3) show that nearly 90 percent of Americans think a woman who has lost her hair is ill. Likewise, more than half (55 percent) would go to extreme measures - including breaking up with a significant other - to guarantee they'll always have a full head of hair.
Hereditary Hair Loss in Women
Contrary to common belief, hereditary hair loss is the most common reason for progressive hair thinning. Female Pattern Hair Loss appears as a "diffuse" thinning over the top of the head and along the part. It can come from either the mother's or father's side of the family.
Most people lose between 50-100 hairs a day, which is considered normal hair loss. People who consistently experience loss or shedding of 150 or more hairs a day may be experiencing significant loss. Early signs of loss can include build-up of hair in a hairbrush or shower drain, increased incidence of loose hairs on your pillow or clothing and visible changes when styling such as hair clips feeling loser or wrapping elastics more times around hair.
Introducing Women’s ROGAINE® Foam: First FDA-Approved, Once Daily Application 5% Minoxidil Formula for Women
According to New York City dermatologist, Dr. Doris Day4, Hereditary Hair Loss:
- Accounts for 95% of all hair loss
- If left untreated, hair thinning can worsen over time
- Can start between puberty and the 20s with a second peak in the early 40s
- Can resemble an Evergreen tree pattern with the most extensive hair loss occurring on the top of the head and along the part
Hair Regrowth for Women: Hope and Empowerment
According to Dr. Day, "Women with Female Pattern Hair Loss should not feel alone. Treatment options have come a long way and the recent FDA-approval of Women's ROGAINE 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol is a major advancement in the category. Unlike cosmetic thickeners which coat the hair and temporarily mask the issue, this innovative product when used once a day - every day - actually helps regrow hair. And, its unique, enhanced bio-delivery system is designed to break down with body heat to deposit actives on the scalp without residue to make styling that much easier."
Women's ROGAINE 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol has convenient once-daily usage and fits seamlessly into any beauty routine:
- To apply, simply dispense the product onto a non-porous surface, part hair to help maximize scalp exposure and massage it into the scalp and allow to dry.
- Women's ROGAINE 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol can be applied to dry or towel dried hair; followed with the styling product(s) of choice.
- The product can be used on colored or chemically-treated hair, but should not be used on the same day of any chemical treatment to the hair.
- Continued use of Women's ROGAINE 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol is required to maintain results.
- Women's ROGAINE 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol is available nationwide without a prescription in November 2014 and has a suggested retail price of $29.99 for a 2-month supply and $49.99 for a 4-month supply.
The ROGAINE brand is the first topical brand FDA-approved to help regrow hair - in both men and women. With 25 years of results and numerous clinical trials, the ROGAINE brand is the #1 dermatologist-recommended hair regrowth treatment. The ROGAINE brand provides a variety of hair loss treatment options and continues to innovate in the Hair Regrowth Treatment category.
1 Results based on a 6 month clinical study of once daily use of Women's ROGAINE® 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol vs. Placebo.
2 Based on mean hair strand diameter.
3 Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow: The Myths and Truths Behind Hair Loss, 2009. Conducted by Wakefield Research on behalf of the ROGAINE® Brand.
4 Paid ROGAINE® Spokesperson
- 1 - How to Make Hair Look Shiny and Healthy : Disabled World (2015/03/28)
- 2 - Human Hair Myths Including Tips on Hair Care : Disabled World (2009/03/22)
- 3 - What Causes Gray Hair : Disabled World (2009/03/22)
- 4 - Recognizing Hair Loss Due to Thyroid Gland Problems : Ian Irving (2012/03/15)
- 5 - Trichotillomania Hair-Pulling Disorder: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/07/28)
- 6 - Robotic Hair Transplant - Automated Graft Selection : Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration (2015/02/25)
- 7 - Alopecia: Types of Hair Loss and How to Identify Them : Danny Ashton (2012/09/26)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.