Amazing Facts Regarding the Human Digestive System
Author: Disabled World : Contact: www.disabled-world.com
Published: 2009-03-12 : (Rev. 2020-02-04)
The digestive system is simply the process that our body uses to glean the benefits of the foods we eat.
- One of the jobs of the liver is to inspect the nutrients that are going to go to our bloodstream. Its job is to supply detoxification by getting rid of the impurities.
- With the germs and pesticides and other things that are foods are exposed to, unfortunately we really don't have a choice but to thoroughly cook our foods.
We all understand that the digestive system is simply the process that our body uses to glean the benefits of the foods we eat. Some of us have more knowledge about it than others, and that often comes from the type of education we are exposed to.
For example. students that took biology will perhaps know a lot more than an individual who studied a trade about mechanics. There are many things about the digestive system that are just plain interesting to know. For example...
Did You Know
In our stomach the food and liquids we take in are mixed with digestive juices. These are all mixed together within the stomach until they are small enough to be absorbed into our system. The interesting part is that each day this all adds up to about 11.5 liters which flows through the digestive system. Out of that entire amount only approx. 100mls is of no value to us, and ends up being passed through the bowels as feces.
The stomach has to break down the different types of food we ingest. One of these being protein. To do the job the stomach secretes enzymes and hydrochloric acid. The stomach is so efficient at its job that between 2-6 hours later it is totally emptied of its contents and is ready for the next batch.
Now you know why you're hungry.
Simple illustration of the human digestive system.
Your Liver is a Food Inspector
One of the jobs of the liver is to inspect the nutrients that are going to go to our bloodstream. Its job is to supply detoxification by getting rid of the impurities. This assists the digestion process. Good reason to keep your liver in top working condition.
By not looking after our digestive system properly we could be hurting our financial economy.
Well at least indirectly anyways...
Digestive problems cost Approx $50 billion every year in America, in both direct costs and individuals suffering from these problems who cannot work.
We may be able to help control indigestion by the way we cook?
In order for us to properly digest our food it takes 100 of enzymes of many different varieties.
There are enzymes in our food, but we destroy these when we cook our food. So because the body needs them it is forced to manufacture them. After a while our body may get tired of doing all this extra work, so it will go on strike and not produce a efficient amount. Once that happens, you better start heading for the antacids, because you are in for a bout of indigestion...
With the germs and pesticides and other things that are foods are exposed to, unfortunately we really don't have a choice but to thoroughly cook our foods.
And saving the best for last...
You could stand on your head and the food would still get down to your stomach. Now we really recommend that you don't do this. The reason it will get down there, is because the esophagus is about 25 cm, long, and our muscles will contract in waves to push the food down these 25 cm.
Fascinating and Amazing Human Body Facts and Trivia - Featuring over 500 strange, weird and fascinating list of unusual facts and trivia regarding parts of the amazing human body.
- 1 - Undetected Raccoon Roundworm Parasite Infections : University of California - Santa Barbara (2017/07/24)
- 2 - Diverticulitis: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments : Disabled World (2009/06/14)
- 3 - Gastric Bypass Surgery in Obese Patients : JAMA and Archives Journals (2009/04/20)
- 4 - Gastric Bypass Surgery General Overview : Disabled World (2009/03/14)
- 5 - Amazing Facts Regarding the Human Digestive System : Disabled World (2009/03/12)
- 6 - Foods That Cause Flatulence, Gas, Bloat, Burping : Disabled World (2010/10/01)
- 7 - Oxy-Powder Shows Promise for Irritable Bowel Syndrome : Global Healing Center, Inc. (2010/09/21)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.