South Africa Ready to Deal with Ebola
Author: Brand South Africa : Contact: www.brandsouthafrica.com
Synopsis and Key Points:
Brand South Africa and DoC convene high level discussion with stakeholders on how the country is responding to Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
The session, hosted in Pretoria, was attended by representatives from the Departments of Health, Tourism and Communications, South African Tourism, Wits University, Proudly SA, Airports Company South Africa (ACSA), Southern African Tourism Services Association (SATSA) and South Africa Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA).
It was emphasized during the discussions that South Africa remains Ebola free and continues to conduct domestic surveillance to ensure that our citizens and visitors are safe.
The experts at the session maintained that South Africa is, and will remain, at low risk of having an Ebola outbreak.
South Africa's Domestic Response to the Ebola Outbreak
South Africa has, since the outbreak of the disease in West Africa implemented a robust plan to ensure that the country remains Ebola free.
- The vigilant monitoring of travelers at all ports of entry (air, land and sea);
- Temperature screening of all passengers at airports;
- The use of health questionnaires;
- The preparedness of designated health facilities in the private and public health sector to manage a suspected or infected individual with Ebola; and
- Extensive training has been rolled out to front-line health professionals at the ports of entry as well as the designated health facilities.
How is South Africa playing its part in the international fight against Ebola
Diagnostic laboratory support in Sierra Leone
South Africa has since August 2014 been running a diagnostic laboratory in Sierra Leone to assist with the diagnosis of Ebola in infected individuals. The laboratory is staffed by South African officials from the National Institute of Communicable Diseases and teams are rotated every five weeks. In addition, local Sierra Leone personnel work alongside the South Africans and are being trained to run these diagnostic facilities.
South Africa's Minister of Health, Dr Aaron Motsoaledi, hosted a meeting of SADC Ministers of Health in South Africa in August 2014. The meeting aimed at agreeing on the process to standardize measures to deal with an outbreak of Ebola in the region. It was agreed at this meeting that South Africa's National Institute of Communicable Diseases would be the regional center of excellence to diagnose Ebola.
A second Ministerial meeting was held in September 2014 during which SADC Ministers of Health agreed on the co-ordination of travel measures to be implemented and that South Africa would intensify its screening processes at ports of entry.
Infection control interventions
South Africa is producing sterilizing units (autoclaves) which will assist in the sterilization of medical waste and thus prevent the spread of the Ebola infection. These units can function in low resource settings. The United Nations Development Program (UNDP) has introduced these units into the affected countries as part of the UNDP's Ebola response mechanism.
South Africa has mobilized its private and public sector to raise approximately R50 million for the international Health and Humanitarian Response in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
In short the meeting agreed that South Africa is ready to deal with any possible instance of Ebola infection as the country has all measures in place to contain the spread of the virus.
South Africa remains safe and open for business.
Brand South Africa is the official marketing agency of South Africa, with a mandate to build the country's brand reputation, in order to improve its global competitiveness. Its aim is also to build pride and patriotism among South Africans, in order to contribute to social cohesion and nation brand ambassadorship.
- 1 - Human Clinical Trial of Ebola Vaccine Started : NIH/National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (2014/11/01)
- 2 - Evolutionary Roots of the Ebola Virus : University at Buffalo (2014/10/24)
- 3 - Consequences of Ebola Virus Epidemic : Leopoldina (2014/10/15)
- 4 - Ebola Education Module and Safety Poster for Nurses : Disabled World (2014/11/07)
- 5 - Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Information : Disabled World (2014/04/17)
- 6 - Focus Needed for Global Surveillance Strategies Since Re-Emergence of Ebola Virus : EcoHealth Alliance (2014/04/20)
- 7 - South Africa Ready to Deal with Ebola : Brand South Africa (2014/11/27)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.