The Fibromyalgia awareness ribbon is colored purple.
Fibromyalgia awareness day is on May 12th.
Note: The purple ribbon also represents pain awareness.
Quick Facts: Fibromyalgia Classification
Differences in psychological and autonomic nervous system profiles among affected individuals may indicate the existence of fibromyalgia subtypes. A 2007 review divides individuals with fibromyalgia into four groups as well as mixed types:
- Fibromyalgia due to Somatization - (may respond to psychotherapy)
- Depression with concomitant fibromyalgia syndrome - (may respond to antidepressants)
- Fibromyalgia and comorbid, pain-related depression - (may respond to antidepressants)
- Extreme sensitivity to pain but no associated psychiatric conditions - (may respond to medications that block the 5-HT3 receptor)
Fibromyalgia is estimated to affect 2 to 8% of the population, with a female to male incidence ratio that is somewhere between 7:1 and 9:1. It is most commonly diagnosed in individuals between the ages of 20 and 50, though onset can occur in childhood. Fibromyalgia may not be diagnosed in up to 75 percent of affected people.
- People with fibromyalgia are hospitalized about once every 3 years (CDC, 2009)
- 30 to 40% of fibromyalgia patients have to stop working or change jobs (Health Central, 2009)
- 90% of fibro patients have jaw or facial tenderness that can produce symptoms of TMJ disorder (Fibromyalgia Network, 1999)
- Approximately 50% of people with fibromyalgia have difficulty with or are unable to perform routine daily activities (Health Central, 2009)
- 50% of fibromyalgia patients suffer from sensitivity to odors, noise, bright lights, medications and various foods (Fibromyalgia Network, 1999)
- Fibromyalgia is the 2nd most common ailment affecting the musculoskeletal system after osteoarthritis (American College of Rheumatology, 2004)
- Approximately one in 50 Americans are estimated to have fibromyalgia, or between 3 and 6 million people in the U.S. (American College of Rheumatology, 2004)
Latest Fibromyalgia Publications
- Fibromyalgia Treatment Effective at Reducing Pain and Symptoms Shows Promise
- Osteoarthritis and Fibromyalgia Similarities
- Medical Marijuana Rated Much More Effective in Treating Fibromyalgia Symptoms Than Drugs
- Reducing Fibromyalgia Pain with Vitamin D Supplements
- New Fast and Easy Test for Fibromyalgia May be Close
Click Here for Full List - (24 Items)
Loan Information for low income singles, families, seniors and disabled. Includes home, vehicle and personal loans.