Medical Marijuana More Effective in Treating Fibromyalgia Than Drugs
Published: 2014-04-21 - Updated: 2021-08-02
Author: The National Pain Foundation | Contact: thenationalpainfoundation.org
Peer-Reviewed Publication: N/A
Additional References: Fibromyalgia Publications
Synopsis: Compares Medical Marijuana against Cymbalta (Duloxetine), Lyrica (Pregabalin), and Savella (Milnacipran) - the three drugs approved for treatment of fibromyalgia.. Survey of people with fibromyalgia revealed those who used marijuana to treat symptoms find it significantly more effective than the 3 drugs approved by the FDA to treat the disorder.
The three drugs approved for the treatment of fibromyalgia are Cymbalta (Duloxetine); Lyrica (Pregabalin); and Savella (Milnacipran).
How Cymbalta Performs for Fibromyalgia Sufferers (N=960)
- 60% say Cymbalta does not work at all
- 32% say Cymbalta helps a little
- 8% say Cymbalta was very effective
How Lyrica Performs for Fibromyalgia Sufferers (N=860)
- 61% say Lyrica does not work at all
- 29% say Lyrica helps a little
- 10% say Lyrica was very effective
How Savella Performs for Fibromyalgia Sufferers (N=387)
- 68% say it does not work at all
- 22% say it helps a little
- 10% say it was very effective
How Marijuana Performs for Fibromyalgia Sufferers (N=379)
- 5% say it does not work at all
- 33% marijuana helps a little
- 62% say marijuana was very effective
Comments from survey respondents regarding the use of marijuana to treat Fibromyalgia:
- "I've found nothing that has worked for me, apart from marijuana."
- "Nothing but medical marijuana has made the greatest dent in the pain and mental problems."
- "Marijuana does help a LOT, it numbs the pain. But, it doesn't last long and it makes your brain foggy."
About The Survey:
- Ninety-six percent (96%) of survey respondents were females.
- About half (49%) were diagnosed between the ages of 18 and 34, while 38% were diagnosed between the ages of 35 to 49.
- Only 12% were diagnosed at the age of 50 or older.
- Forty-four percent (44%) lived with Fibromyalgia for more than five years before receiving a diagnosis.
- Only 11% were diagnosed within one year of experiencing symptoms.
- Four out of ten (43%) of fibromyalgia sufferers feel their physician is not knowledgeable about the disorder.
- Over a third (35%) feel their physician does not take their fibromyalgia seriously.
- And 45% feel their family and friends do not take their fibromyalgia seriously.
The National Pain Foundation is a 501(c)(3), not-for-profit organization that is addressing the critical public health challenges attributed to pain on a global basis.
Medical Marijuana More Effective in Treating Fibromyalgia Than Drugs | The National Pain Foundation (thenationalpainfoundation.org). Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
Disabled World is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative news, reviews, sports, stories and how-tos. You can also connect with us on Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disabled World provides general information only. The materials presented are never meant to substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Financial support is derived from advertisements or referral programs, where indicated. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.
• Cite This Page (APA): The National Pain Foundation. (2014, April 21). Medical Marijuana More Effective in Treating Fibromyalgia Than Drugs . Disabled World. Retrieved December 7, 2022 from www.disabled-world.com/health/fibromyalgia/rated.php
• Permalink: <a href="https://www.disabled-world.com/health/fibromyalgia/rated.php">Medical Marijuana More Effective in Treating Fibromyalgia Than Drugs </a>