Medical Marijuana Rated Much More Effective in Treating Fibromyalgia Symptoms Than Drugs
Author: The National Pain Foundation : Contact: www.thenationalpainfoundation.org
Published: 2014-04-21 : (Rev. 2016-01-04)
Survey of people with fibromyalgia revealed those who used marijuana to treat symptoms find it significantly more effective than the 3 drugs approved by the FDA to treat the disorder.
The three drugs approved for the treatment of fibromyalgia are Cymbalta (Duloxetine); Lyrica (Pregabalin); and Savella (Milnacipran).
How Cymbalta Performs for Fibromyalgia Sufferers (N=960)
- 60% say Cymbalta does not work at all
- 32% say Cymbalta helps a little
- 8% say Cymbalta was very effective
How Lyrica Performs for Fibromyalgia Sufferers (N=860)
- 61% say Lyrica does not work at all
- 29% say Lyrica helps a little
- 10% say Lyrica was very effective
How Savella Performs for Fibromyalgia Sufferers (N=387)
- 68% say it does not work at all
- 22% say it helps a little
- 10% say it was very effective
How Marijuana Performs for Fibromyalgia Sufferers (N=379)
- 5% say it does not work at all
- 33% marijuana helps a little
- 62% say marijuana was very effective
Comments from survey respondents regarding the use of marijuana to treat Fibromyalgia:
- "I've found nothing that has worked for me, apart from marijuana."
- "Nothing but medical marijuana has made the greatest dent in the pain and mental problems."
- "Marijuana does help a LOT, it numbs the pain. But, it doesn't last long and it makes your brain foggy."
About The Survey:
- Ninety-six percent (96%) of survey respondents were females.
- About half (49%) were diagnosed between the ages of 18 and 34, while 38% were diagnosed between the ages of 35 to 49.
- Only 12% were diagnosed at the age of 50 or older.
- Forty-four percent (44%) lived with Fibromyalgia for more than five years before receiving a diagnosis.
- Only 11% were diagnosed within one year of experiencing symptoms.
- Four out of ten (43%) of fibromyalgia sufferers feel their physician is not knowledgeable about the disorder.
- Over a third (35%) feel their physician does not take their fibromyalgia seriously.
- And 45% feel their family and friends do not take their fibromyalgia seriously.
The National Pain Foundation is a 501(c)(3), not-for-profit organization that is addressing the critical public health challenges attributed to pain on a global basis.
- 1 - Osteoarthritis and Fibromyalgia Similarities : Thomas C. Weiss (2014/11/03)
- 2 - Morton's Toe and Step Therapy for Fibromyalgia : Dr. Michelle Matison (2011/07/08)
- 3 - Fibromyalgia Pain and the Weather : Disabled World (2011/11/14)
- 4 - IsolateFibromyalgia a New Blood Test From IQuity Accurately Detects Fibromyalgia : IQuity, Inc. (2018/03/07)
- 5 - New Hope for Sufferers of CFS ME and Fibromyalgia : Maija Haavisto (2009/01/17)
- 6 - New Fibromyalgia Disability Ruling from Social Security Administration : Disability Rights Law Center - Alex Boudov, Attorney at Law (2012/08/04)
- 7 - Fibromyalgia Disability Claims: Things To Consider Before Filing a Disability Insurance Application : Gregory Dell (2011/06/29)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.