Medical Marijuana Rated Much More Effective in Treating Fibromyalgia Symptoms Than Drugs
- Publish Date: 2014/04/21 - (Rev. 2016/01/04)
- Author: The National Pain Foundation
- Contact : www.thenationalpainfoundation.org
Outline: Survey of people with fibromyalgia revealed those who used marijuana to treat symptoms find it significantly more effective than the 3 drugs approved by the FDA to treat the disorder.
The three drugs approved for the treatment of fibromyalgia are Cymbalta (Duloxetine); Lyrica (Pregabalin); and Savella (Milnacipran).
How Cymbalta Performs for Fibromyalgia Sufferers (N=960)
- 60% say Cymbalta does not work at all
- 32% say Cymbalta helps a little
- 8% say Cymbalta was very effective
How Lyrica Performs for Fibromyalgia Sufferers (N=860)
- 61% say Lyrica does not work at all
- 29% say Lyrica helps a little
- 10% say Lyrica was very effective
How Savella Performs for Fibromyalgia Sufferers (N=387)
- 68% say it does not work at all
- 22% say it helps a little
- 10% say it was very effective
How Marijuana Performs for Fibromyalgia Sufferers (N=379)
- 5% say it does not work at all
- 33% marijuana helps a little
- 62% say marijuana was very effective
Comments from survey respondents regarding the use of marijuana to treat Fibromyalgia:
- "I've found nothing that has worked for me, apart from marijuana."
- "Nothing but medical marijuana has made the greatest dent in the pain and mental problems."
- "Marijuana does help a LOT, it numbs the pain. But, it doesn't last long and it makes your brain foggy."
About The Survey:
- Ninety-six percent (96%) of survey respondents were females.
- About half (49%) were diagnosed between the ages of 18 and 34, while 38% were diagnosed between the ages of 35 to 49.
- Only 12% were diagnosed at the age of 50 or older.
- Forty-four percent (44%) lived with Fibromyalgia for more than five years before receiving a diagnosis.
- Only 11% were diagnosed within one year of experiencing symptoms.
- Four out of ten (43%) of fibromyalgia sufferers feel their physician is not knowledgeable about the disorder.
- Over a third (35%) feel their physician does not take their fibromyalgia seriously.
- And 45% feel their family and friends do not take their fibromyalgia seriously.
The National Pain Foundation is a 501(c)(3), not-for-profit organization that is addressing the critical public health challenges attributed to pain on a global basis.
- 1 - Morton's Toe and Step Therapy for Fibromyalgia | Dr. Michelle Matison | 2011/07/08
- 2 - Fibromyalgia Pain and the Weather | Disabled World | 2011/11/14
- 3 - IsolateFibromyalgia a New Blood Test From IQuity Accurately Detects Fibromyalgia | IQuity, Inc. | 2018/03/07
- 4 - New Hope for Sufferers of CFS ME and Fibromyalgia | Maija Haavisto | 2009/01/17
- 5 - New Fibromyalgia Disability Ruling from Social Security Administration | Disability Rights Law Center - Alex Boudov, Attorney at Law | 2012/08/04
- 6 - Osteoarthritis and Fibromyalgia Similarities | Thomas C. Weiss | 2014/11/03
- 7 - Fibromyalgia Disability Claims: Things To Consider Before Filing a Disability Insurance Application | Gregory Dell | 2011/06/29
- 8 - Medical Marijuana Rated Much More Effective in Treating Fibromyalgia Symptoms Than Drugs | The National Pain Foundation | 2014/04/21
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media