Teal is the official color of the awareness ribbon worn for Food Allergy Awareness Week. In 2010, 37 U.S. states recognized Food Allergy Awareness Week, an initiative FAAN began in 1998, with official proclamations. In Canada May is Food Allergy Awareness Month.
Quick Facts: Food Allergy Symptoms &
Symptoms of food allergy include:
- Hives or eczema
- Drop in blood pressure
- Itching or swelling in your mouth
- Tightening of the throat and trouble breathing
- Vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal cramps and pain
Statistics: Food Allergy
- About 50% of children with allergies to milk, egg, soy, peanuts, tree nuts and wheat will outgrow their allergy by the age of 6.
- In Central Europe, celery allergy is more common. In Japan, allergy to buckwheat flour, used for soba noodles, is more common.
- This potentially deadly disease affects 1 in every 13 children (under 18 years of age) in the U.S. That's roughly two in every classroom.
- Every 3 minutes, a food allergy reaction sends someone to the emergency department - that is more than 200,000 emergency department visits per year.
- In the United States, food allergy affects as many as 5% of infants less than three years of age and 3% to 4% of adults. There is a similar prevalence in Canada.
- Seventy-five percent of children who have allergies to milk protein are able to tolerate baked-in milk products, i.e., muffins, cookies, cake and hydrolyzed formulas.
- Eight foods account for 90 percent of all reactions: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, wheat, fish and shellfish. Even trace amounts of a food allergen can cause a reaction.
- According to a study released in 2013 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, food allergies among children increased approximately 50% between 1997 and 2011.
- It is estimated that up to 12 million Americans have food allergies, and the prevalence is rising. 6 to 8 percent of children under the age of 3 have food allergies and nearly 4 percent of adults have them.
Latest Food Allergy Publications
- New NIAID Peanut Allergy Guidelines
- Peanut Protein On Everyday Surfaces
- Is Celiac Disease & Food Allergy a Disability Under ADA
- Allergies: Food Allergy Link to Forms of Arthritis
- Effects on Gluten When Cooking Wheat Allergens in Pasta
Click Here for Full List - (35 Items)
Loan Information for low income singles, families, seniors and disabled. Includes home, vehicle and personal loans.