The color of the prostate cancer awareness ribbon is light, or sky blue, and September is proclaimed as National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month.
Wear BLUE - Created by Men's Health Network to raise awareness about male health issues.
Men's Health Month - June - Men's Health Month is celebrated across the country with screenings, health fairs, media appearances, and other health education and outreach activities.
Movember - Annual event involving the growing of mustaches during the month of November to raise awareness of men's health issues,such as depression in men, prostate cancer and other male cancers, and associated charities. The Movember Foundation runs the Movember charity event, housed at Movember.com.
U.S. National Men's Health Week - Men's Health Week is celebrated each year as the week leading up to and including Father's Day. This week heightens awareness of preventable health problems and encourages early detection and treatment of disease among men and boys.
Coming Dates for Men's Health Week;
- June 12-18, 2017
- June 11-17, 2018
- June 10-16, 2019
- June 15-21, 2020
Quick Facts: Male Health
Most men need to pay more attention to their health. Compared to women, men are more likely to:
- Smoke and drink
- Make unhealthy or risky choices
- Put off regular checkups and medical care
- There are also health conditions that only affect men, such as prostate cancer and low testosterone.
Many of the major health risks that men face, like colon cancer or heart disease, can be prevented and treated with early diagnosis. Screening tests such as a Colonoscopy can find diseases early, when they are easier to treat.
The Vienna Declaration:
The Vienna Declaration serves as a plan of action for improving the state of men's health. The main points of the Vienna Declaration are:
- Promoting awareness of men's approach to health
- Connecting health and social policies to better pursue men's health goals
- Creating school and community programs which target boys and young men
- Changing the way health care is provided to be more sensitive towards men's needs
- Recognizing men's health is a critical issue and that there are health issues which only affect men
Statistics: Men's Health
- More than a third (34%) of men aged over 40 years report having one or more reproductive health problems, all being more common amongst older men.
- Emerging research suggests that there are strong links between reproductive health disorders and chronic disease (such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes).
- Testicular cancer is the second most common cancer in men aged from 18 to 39: in 2007, nearly 700 men were diagnosed with testicular cancer. But it is easy to treat and, when found early, nearly all men (over 95 per cent) are cured.
- Most common in older men, about 1 in 7 males over 40 will suffer from problems with their prostate: the most common prostate disease is a non-cancerous growth (enlargement) of the prostate called Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH).
- Klinefelter's Syndrome is the most common chromosomal disorder in men: about one in 650 men have an extra X chromosome, so instead of having the normal 46XY chromosomes in their genes, there are 47XXY or similar variations. It is suspected that as many as three quarters of men with Klinefelter's syndrome are not diagnosed and so remain untreated for life.
Latest Male Health Publications
- Male Prostate Exam: PSA, DRE & PVR Tests
Information regarding types of male prostate examination including PSA, DRE and PVR tests.
- Male Kegel Exercises Help Urinary Incontinence
Study finds males can benefit from pelvic exercises to prevent urinary leaks after prostate cancer treatment.
- Longer Colonoscopies Equal Lower Cancer Rates
Research by a VA team confirms longer lasting colonoscopies are associated with lower cancer rates.
- Circumcision: Good or Bad Debate
Information regarding circumcision, a practice commonly performed on the first or second day after a male child is born.
- Male Reproductive Health Information
Information regarding male reproductive health and conditions often neglected by men who do not always go to the doctor.
Click Here for Full List (19 Items)
Loan Information for low income singles, families, seniors and disabled. Includes home, vehicle and personal loans.